Birds underweight even though fed plenty...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Arklady, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I came across an issue over the past couple of years. I want to run it buy you guys and see what you think...

You can all see by my signature the types of birds that I have. The thing is... some of my birds don't have good body weight. I am not exactly sure why this is but I wanted to know, from you all if you have these breeds what you are feeding them. I mean we are talking a marked difference in weight from bird to bird.

While my Dorkings are nice and hefty... my Favorelles are just thin. Which bothers me quite a bit. I only have a trio. I would like them to survive but they are very thin and I don't feed them any different than the other birds. My bantams seem to be alright though they get exactly the same feed. So I am curious as to the issue with them being so thin. I mean thin enough I had to put one in isolation I thought she was going to die. She is on chick starter right now for the extra protein. I was afraid to up it too much.

I know you all feed treats... but really that shouldn't be an issue. The only difference in my flock that I can see is that in the wild birds eat loads of bugs. Which bugs carry a significant amount of fat with that protein. But I really hesitate to add just willy nilly fat... I would not want to see this chicken go into diarrhaea(sp) I don't think she would survive it.

In any case this bird is now in isolation on chickstarter as it is 22% and although she is better I am still concerned because her fellow cagemates seem to be thin but not as thin as her.

What do you suppose I could feed them that would beef up that weigh gain, so they would be more of a normal weight. I swear that pullet near 5 months old weighs less than 2 lbs. so thin...

*This bird is doing well, she is eating a lot and doing well she is getting one on one attention I check on her ever day and she has plenty of rest and food and water*

I understand that 'some' breeds don't wear much weight being for eggs and being broody but still... when compaired to my marans, the marans pullet hands down carry more body weight at 5 months than that favorelle pullet. Am I just missing something here??

**all bad pet-owner posts will be ignored**

Arklady

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Have they been dewormed?

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I was just going to ask the same thing.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, first I'd check for those internal parasites and make sure they are clear for that. Then if they are clear and still don't gain weight... it may very well be the breed. I know my year old leghorn girl is about 2.5 lbs of dirty feathers while my red sexlink is about 5 lbs and still a pullet!!

5. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I have thought of that but I do worm regularly. I can re-worm but I would have to use a non-chem method as I don't want to over stress her. So I thought about seeing if the pumpkins are in yet and see if I can get her some fresh pumpkin.

I tried growing it but... this place... well suffice to say the pumpkin didn't survive.

The eggs I am getting from my other birds show little to no parisite meat spots in the eggs...

With her. I am going to move the cage that her cage mates live in this afternoon, when my daughter gets home. I have a lot of them in tractors and I am going to move them all this week end. Its time. But still...

I will re-worm this bird if I can find a natural method as I really don't want to stress her anymore.

Arklady

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

How hot has it been in your area? You may want to get the poultry vitamins & electrolytes....I think some one on here said to get the bag for the Pigeon's due to it being a smaller bag and late in the season.....just a thought....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Take a fecal to a vet. It will cost about $10 and eliminate any unknowns. Not all dewormers work on all worms; my first guess would also be worms.

8. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:What the heck are parasite meat spots??? and what is the pumpkin for? Is that a natural de-wormer?

9. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Well...I'd never heard of it....I can't find anything that correlated parasite to meat spots in eggs...... [​IMG]

10. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I have been in contact with folks who have raised chickens all their lives. They understand that when you have birds that eat off the ground on a regular basis they also eat parasites. These parasites take up residence all over inside the bird.

That is one of the reasons for worming the bird regularly. Some parasites attach themselfs in the area where eggs are created in the chicken and only worming regularly keeps the eggs pristine and the meat spots at bay. If you have been worming regularly then you will not see any of these. But they will show up eventually because birds do eat garbage off the ground.

When you crack open an egg and see little blood spots on the egg in the clear area this is the area that parasites are in the chicken. Now these aren't the worm or parasite itself its just the result of having the parasite in the chicken. So every time you see this spot then the chicken is under some kind of stress related problem due to parasitic action.

These spots don't hurt you but it is an indicator that worming needs to be done. I personally just pick them out and eat the egg myself. Lots of people just scramble them up and don't think about it. The reason you don't see these spots in chicken eggs at the store is because these birds live on worm medicine. I don't approve of my birds living on worming medicine. Its got to be unhealthy. But then so are the parasites.

I do practice a worming plan but these are an indicator it needs to be done again. Most of the time my eggs are meat spot free.

I know this probably hasn't come up before but it is like I said only an indicator for me to feed as it should be for us all.

Arklady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by