Birdseed??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doubleatraining, Jul 26, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    My wild birds tend to spill a lot of birdseed out of the feeder and aren't as good as I would like about cleaning it up. If I move the chicken tractor under the bird feeders once a week or so will they clean it up? Will it be ok for them??

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I've been feeding mine bird seed since they were 5 weeks old and they are now 14 weeks old. They love it and it hasn't killed them yet. Consensus here seems to be that black oil sunflower seeds, in particular, are very good for them.

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Ok great! Thanks for the information, I don't think the wild birds miss the BOSS but they drop a lot of the other stuff. I just hate seeing it go to waste and don't want it to attract mice.

4. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I sprout bird seed for my conures, so I give some to my chickens too. They have been eating it since they were just three weeks old and all is well. They love it. It is a treat to them.

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Keep in mind wild birds carry things you might not want to have around your chickens, like mites. I try to discourage them from getting close to my girls.

6. Pam_x

Pam_x Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    hmmm this is interesting thread has i feed the wild birds and my chickens love to eat up what the birds waste but i never thought about them catching lice etc off the wild birds...but i do dust my chickens often for that..
    luv
    pam x

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    We had chickens in the yard and when the birds kick/waste feed it goes on the ground and the chickens gobble it up.

~ Aspen

8. Reaper

Reaper Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    My birds free range alot and they tend to migrate over to the wild bird feeder they love it. Like you said I hate seeing the food get wasted so I let mine eat it up.

9. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:That would be my concern, too. The more direct exposure chickens have to wild birds, the more the chance that they'll be exposed/pick up and unwanted parasite/disease. Not sure how prevalent such incidences are, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by