Birth Day...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MiniBeesKnees, Jul 9, 2010.

1. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one little guy in the other room screaming his head off...he is mostly dry, and on his feet. He is only one of more than three dozen eggs due today. The others are doing nothing, no peeps, no pips, no moving around. I have had no issues with temps or humidity, lockdown is on schedule, humidity OK. I'm convinced it is a little Roo...no reason, it is just a hunch...he is a D'Uccle.

He pipped and hatched within an hour and that egg had not moved or peeped either. The peeping drives my Pugs nuts...they always hear it before I do. I find it hard to believe that one egg developed well, and hatched a healthy chick right on time and the other 35+ eggs are duds. I candled a couple times and removed the clear ones, and those with blood rings. There were only about four or five.

So now I'm practicing extreme patience.

I found a nest with a broody on it out in the yard in a pile of stuff that I had to move and burn...so I moved the broody into a nest in a separate outside pen. She would not stay on the eggs...there were nine or ten of them...and they could be anyone's eggs. While moving her a second time into the coop in a wire crate...where I locked her in...I dropped one egg which was either infertile, or she had not been sitting on them very long. I had no idea how long she had been on it...with fifty plus chickens that I let roam in the daytime I've quit counting heads when I lock up the coop at night so didn't notice her 'missing' so to speak.

I have to watch her as when she gets off the nest, she goes back on another one. The eggs had stains and spots on them like they'd been rained on. With all these nice nests I don't know why she made one right on bare dirt almost with very little sheltering cover. She has been on her eggs on the nest in the crate now for three days. I'd be really surprised if these eggs ever hatched...so if only a few chicks hatch out of my incubator I'm going to switch out those eggs and put the incubator chicks under her...see what happens.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    The others should start pipping soon. [​IMG] Yay for your little man!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by