Birth defect on duckling???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gwyllion22, May 4, 2017.

1. gwyllion22

gwyllion22 New Egg

May 4, 2017
    We are new to hatching ducks but I am pretty sure the growth on this duckling near the tail is not supposed to be there. He is the first to hatch and seems healthy. These were shipped Magpie eggs and I was worried because all the air cells were detached and some looked a little scrambled inside. We incubated accordingly and 18 out of 28 developed fully and were moving at lockdown. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG]!

I'm looking at the photo and I don't see anything that jumps out at me as abnormal. The duckling's wet, too, so structures that would be obscured by down are easily seen now, and he's still somewhat contorted from hatching. The anatomy in the tail area includes muscles to help move the tail, so I'm wondering if you're seeing that "bump" there.

Another BYCer may see something that I don't, but I wouldn't worry at this point if this was my hatchling; once s/he is dry and up and moving around, you'll have a better idea if there is some problem related to what you're seeing.

Best of luck with the rest of your hatch!

3. gwyllion22

gwyllion22 New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Thanks![​IMG] I was wondering if it was just part of the tail assembly but couldn't find any good pictures online to compare. Here is another picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by