kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
THE BIRTH OF A HUMMINGBIRD...

Keep in mind the egg is smaller than a tic tac and a quarter fits the opening of the nest! This is truly amazing.

Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages in all.

A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest.

It took 24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

Incredible! Thanks so much for sharing that!
big_smile.png

Thats like a miracle they are so tiny and i never knew they laid two eggs i thought it was only one.
I was just amazed and in awe at the little cotton lined nest and the tiny little baby's.

Thanks so much for sharing
hugs.gif

Very cool. I have a pair of hummingbirds (I don't know if it's the same ones) that nest in our fruitless mulberry tree in the back yard each year. Two years ago I actually found the tiny nest with mom sitting absolutely frozen still on the nest. I did not dare to bother her but I watched each day from a distance to make sure she was safe with her little eggs. One day she was gone and I almost cried thinking cats or something ate her. I got a ladder and climbed up to get a look inside the nest and there inside were two of the tiniest little birds I ever saw. I quickly got the heck away from it because Lord knows I could never care for them if I caused her to abandon the nest. I continued to watch everyday til one day the babies were too big to fit anymore. One flew and the other tried but did more of a falling with grace routine. The cat saw it happen. I screamed to scare the cat and grabbed hubby's work gloves and gently put the little fellow back in the nest. I used the gloves hoping not to leave my scent on it. I have heard of wild birds killing their young because of human scent. Two days later he was gone and so was momma bird. I just know in my heart he made it. I have never felt anything so amazing in my whole life as I did holding that tiny little bird in my hands. They are truly awesome little creatures.

I screamed to scare the cat and grabbed hubby's work gloves and gently put the little fellow back in the nest. I used the gloves hoping not to leave my scent on it. I have heard of wild birds killing their young because of human scent. Two days later he was gone and so was momma bird. I just know in my heart he made it. I have never felt anything so amazing in my whole life as I did holding that tiny little bird in my hands. They are truly awesome little creatures.

Good job!!

Actually you can touch baby birds too put them back in the nest or on a branch nearby without causing problems. They may abandon a nest with too much activity around it, but scent won't make a difference so don't hesitate if you see one on the ground.

Very cool pictures. They're the most amazing creatures.​

Kittymomma is correct. Birds do not have a good sense of smell. They can't actually smell your scent on their babies. That's just a wives tale. A lot of times though if a baby is on the ground, the mom pushed it out because there is something wrong with it that won't let it survive. She'd rather focus her attention (and food) on the healthy ones than give one that is weaker the chance to survive.

That isn't "cotton". I read that they make their nests from spider webs so the nest can expand as the chicks grow.

Thanks for the info regarding "scent".

Quote:
Thanks for adding that about fallen baby's and it being okay to put them back.
That old wives tale of the moms leaving because of your scent was told to children so they wouldn't touch baby birds in the nest.

Actually the mom pushing them out is a myth too it's generally the bigger baby's push the smaller weaker ones out.
Just like with all creatures the strongest survive in the competition for food.

Or sometimes there just isn't enough room and one falls out. (so please be kind and place them back)

I see this with my doves all the time the bigger stronger chick muscle the little one away at feeding time.
When he becomes strong enough he will push his sibling out.
I solve this by adding another nest and placing the smaller chick in it.
The parents gladly feed them both.

Sorry about the "cotton" i know other birds use string and fiber in their nest.
Cool they make them out of spider webs thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom