Birthday Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simplynewt, Oct 13, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Today os my birthday and as a gift to myself, I am getting 4 Dominique Hens that are about 2 months old. I couldnt pass up the bargin price of $2.00 for each of them. I had to scramble to get the run finished but it is done now and look forward to the new additions to the family. I was hoping for RIR's but decided on these as they also lay brown eggs and that is what I was looking for.

Being that this is the first of my newly aquired addiction, I have a couple questions. How soon can I let them free range on my 3 acres? Do they need to be cooped up any length of time before I let them into the run? At 2 months old, the owner suggested I get Chick Starter for their diet. What do I give them after this and at what age do Istart giving it to them?

Thanks for all the relpies in advance.

Time to blow out some candles!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    HaPpY BiRtHdAy! What a great present to yourself!

I like to give my girls a few days in the coop to figure out the whole roosting eating deal, then I would say to give them some time with both the coop and run and THEN try free ranging for a short while in the evenings until they figure it all out!

I usually keep young girls on chick starter for the first 5-6 mos or until they start laying.

Not an expert but...hopefully helpful!

Have a Fantastic Birthday and welcome to the Wonderful World of Chickens!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!! Great birthday present! [​IMG]

4. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Happy Birthday! Hope your present does well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by