Birthday Flock

simplynewt

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
Today os my birthday and as a gift to myself, I am getting 4 Dominique Hens that are about 2 months old. I couldnt pass up the bargin price of $2.00 for each of them. I had to scramble to get the run finished but it is done now and look forward to the new additions to the family. I was hoping for RIR's but decided on these as they also lay brown eggs and that is what I was looking for.

Being that this is the first of my newly aquired addiction, I have a couple questions. How soon can I let them free range on my 3 acres? Do they need to be cooped up any length of time before I let them into the run? At 2 months old, the owner suggested I get Chick Starter for their diet. What do I give them after this and at what age do Istart giving it to them?

Thanks for all the relpies in advance.

Time to blow out some candles!

HaPpY BiRtHdAy! What a great present to yourself!

I like to give my girls a few days in the coop to figure out the whole roosting eating deal, then I would say to give them some time with both the coop and run and THEN try free ranging for a short while in the evenings until they figure it all out!

I usually keep young girls on chick starter for the first 5-6 mos or until they start laying.

Not an expert but...hopefully helpful!

Have a Fantastic Birthday and welcome to the Wonderful World of Chickens!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!! Great birthday present!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom