bit bald!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blondiechic, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    A little while ago a fox came and took most (all but two) of my girls, one big and one silkie survived.
    My big girl had bunches of bald spots where it took her feathers.
    I have been looking at her and under her chest around to the top of her legs now looks like she has been plucked - I haven't caught her plucking herself and she seems happy. She has two new friends and free ranges during the day.
    Is she lacking in something? They get fed a scratch mix, veggies, fruit and the odd pasta/rice treat. She is laying.
    I really don't want anything to happen to her, she is a tough little thing
    Thank you

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Are the others picking at her? I would check for mites or lice. Sometimes they can cause feather loss.

3. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    No no one is pecking her, she is equal top. I have checked for lice etc and regularly dust or spray. She is healthy there, pink skin and it's only around the one side. I wondered if she is plucking herself? When she goes to bed sometimes she half lifts her wings when sitting there for a bit but moves about and behaves normally otherwise.
    I have checked all the others and they are normal everywhere...

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    She could be picking them out. I've noticed feathers arranged in some of my nest boxes before, I'm not sure if they purposely placed them there though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by