Bit by something cleaning the coop! HELP!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Newchickiemamma, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Newchickiemamma

Newchickiemamma In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    74293452-31CD-435C-80CA-AEAAEB481810.jpeg hello! I was cleaning the coop yesterday and as I was walking up my yard after being in the coop I felt something behind my ear, so I quick swatted it. I looked at my hand and it was filled with blood. I was bleeding. I quickly looked in my mirror and there was a small hole in my skin that was bleeding and blood smeared across my neck and chin area. It took some time for this to stop bleeding. I somewhat forgot about it until I woke up this morning to find a huge welt. Almost like a mosquito bite but it has a tingling sensation. I was extremely tired and lethargic today and my throat is a little sore on the side of the bite. My ear is also starting to get sore on the inside. I found a poultry tick on one of my chickens a few days prior and one of my chickens has stick tight fleas which is what lead to this clean out. I posted a picture of the bite. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    The bite makes me think spider but if there was lots of blood then maybe it was a leech? Regardless of what it was, I think maybe a doctors visit asap is important because you're having other symptoms.
    Hope you feel better soon!

Newchickiemamma and Rose Quartz like this.
  3. Newchickiemamma

Jun 17, 2018
    A leech?! I don’t live near water... I live in northeastern PA (poconos area). My property layout is 1.5 acres that backs up to a Christmas tree farm. I have 3 maple trees, 1 near the coop. And the coop is about 10 yards from the Christmas trees. Do you really think I have leeches here??

4. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Bottom line is it sounds like you will survive, I also would say see your Dr.!
    Were there any wasps?
    Mud daubers will go after ticks and spiders,, and will sting if smashed.

snow5164 likes this.
  5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Mosquito? I forget if it's the male or female that bleeds when you kill it.

6. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Crowing

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    Horse flies will bite, and it might bleed and swell up like that too. Too bad you didn't see it. Maybe if you look in the coop again, it might still be around. (Don't get bit).. I don't think it was a leech or a weasel.

Geena, Stepnout, RowanTheRed and 2 others like this.
  7. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    Mosquitos do that to me, but I am mildly allergic to them, so it swells immediately. The ring around it and white spot makes me think spider as well.
    I was bit on the hand by a brown recluse about ten years ago. I didn't know what bit me at the time. The bite started like that (but so do many harmless insect bites as well), but the next day I was dizzy, and the circle around the bite was growing. I got nauseous and had a headache. Went to the doctor and got antibiotics and it cleared up. If you are in doubt at all, I would say go to a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

silly4buttons and C3 mommy like this.
  8. Newchickiemamma

Jun 17, 2018
    I had a small hole where I was bit but I didn’t feel any pain or anything. I’m hoping mosquito but it’s not itchy...?

9. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    Where it is located, it might be hard to tell, but spider bites usually have two holes. That was what clued me in with my bite.
    Mosquito bites for me usually itch several hours later.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Sounds like mosquito, but could be any biting insect. Mosquito, deer fly, horse fly, moose fly, stable fly, flea, black fly... I get itchy and welt up if black flies crawl on my skin. They don't even have to bite me.

Ohmyheart and silly4buttons like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: