Bitchy Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FromChictoChick, Sep 11, 2012.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    There's no other way around it. I have a really bitchy hen! She is pushy and loud, she crowds me whenever I come into the yard! My chickens free range and she'll come out of her way wherever she is to harass me, I've had to start carrying a rake around the yard. She'll even come after my dogs! I tried to introduce two new chicks and she went after them.

What is up with her behavior???

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    How old is she? are you sure shes not a rooster? Some do get crabby, maybe put her in another pen giving her a time out !! Dont forget water and food.

3. FromChictoChick

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    She was hatched first week in April. I suspect she's the hen who has started laying eggs this week. She's Plymouth Barred Rock. At least, I'm pretty sure she's a hen....I haven't figured out which hen is laying yet, but she goes in the nesting box and squats and makes a lot of noise in there. I have six hens and there hasn't been any crowing. She also attacked the two French Copper Maran chicks I tried to introduce

I'll post pics

4. FromChictoChick

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    (her eye is normal, not sure why it looks funny here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by