Bites on comb and around eyes of several chickens**HELP**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Big Red's Mom, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    It has rained here a lot over the last month or two. I try to keep everything clean and dry but it has been hard. I also had neck surgery two weeks ago and have not been able to lift anything heavy. So I have not been able to get the shaving changed in my pen. Saying all that. I live in Mississippi and with rain comes mosquitoes. Well I notices a few bloody spots on some of my hens around the combs and wattle. Nothing major. Well yesterday I noticed that some have bites that have a yellow and swollen look to them. One has bites above and below her eye and it is crusted over. I cleaned it up and the eye reopened. It is swollen. She is eating and doing normal chicken things. I also noticed that one had a bite on her the corner of her beak. It had her been swollen on top and bottom but looks to be healing. Again they are eating and acting fine. I will try to get some pictures but it is hard to get them to be still. Any help would be great....I am worried about my sweet ones.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    You mentioned mosquitos and a lot of wet... could it possibly fowl/avian pox? Google it or type it in a search on BYC

3. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Looks like maybe fowl pox.......Oh no....Okay I am going to wash her eye and put triple antibotic oint on it....
    I hate those darn bugs.....It is getting cooler here now....Maybe they will go away....

Anything else I need to do? [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Not really, it will clear up on its own after a few weeks. Well, other than getting rid of the mosquitos [​IMG]

If mosquitos are a common problem where you live (which I assume they would be) you might consider getting a bat house on your property. Bats would at least help rid you of mosquitos. Good luck

5. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Just watch for secondary infection and be aware of wet pox... otherwise it will run its course.. they will look terrible but be fine! [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Bats or purple martins would help tremendously with mosquitos. Unless you already have them, though, I recomment that you spray all areas mosquitos tend to congregate with a pesticide like malathion that will kill mosquitoes; empty all standing water; any that you cannot empty, add Mosquito Dunks; nightly spray the birds and coops with mosquito repellant such as you would use on yourself.

7. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    [​IMG] Good News....My birds are getting better....Most had no problem getting better...The one that had it on the eye....I cleaned with warm rag and put triple antibotic oint. on for a few days.......They are a little scared but doing great......Thank you for all the advice....
    I have a martin house but no martins.....We have bats that come visit each night.......I try my best to keep on the 7 dust and spray as much as needed but when it rains hard for so many days nothing really helps......
    Now getting ready for cooler weather......Maybe it will come a hard freeze this year here and kill off some pests.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by