Biting duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hooperdooper, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Hooperdooper

Hooperdooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    I have an 11 month old Indian Runner male that likes to bite bare skin and my dog. Not always but it can be annoying and it can hurt. Anyone have any tricks to try to get them to stop?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep your duck and dog separate even when you with them both, I use a long bamboo pole to keep my biting geese and dogs separate when we're all together outside. My drakes don't mess with the dogs. But same thing applies dogs have teeth and can get fed up easily with a drake who can't behave. as far as biting bare skin we had that problem with one of our Muscovy drakes and with persistence he finally got the message, For one I don't let him have the chance. Nibbling on my pants leg of shoes or my jacket is one thing but out and out biting is off limits. I had to get serious with him though and everytime he's start biting I put one hand behind his neck and one at base of tail and flatten him on the ground on his belly just like another drake would do once he stops struggling I let him up If he comes back I do it again. {I am not hurting him just applying enough pressure to keep him on the ground}. He is going to be 4 yrs old this June and is a wonderful member of our flock, He is the only one of my 4 drakes who is like this imprinted on my dh and I. Now when he gets too carried away I just push him away and that usually lets him know I mean business. He usually only wants to bite me now if I am wearing gloves and go to pet him. He does not like gloves. lol

3. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    Thanks for the advice. The holding him down seems to work to calm him down. Maybe within a few weeks he will be better.

4. harkey1995

harkey1995 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    my chicks don't peck at me.. but i wear latex free gloves to clean there pen they seem to not like glovs either because they try there hardest to tear them off lol
    my chicks don't peck at me.. but i wear latex free gloves to clean there pen they seem to not like glovs either because they try there hardest to tear them off lol
    my chicks don't peck at me.. but i wear latex free gloves to clean there pen and they seem to not like gloves either because they try their hardest to tear them off lol

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    These boys just seem to have the attitude and sometimes it just needs to be adjusted some, keep it up be consistent and hopefully you'll have a nice drake soon. I just have to remind mine every once in a while and he gets the picture. Keep us updated

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Anything different than the norm gets them going. lol

7. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    I will do my best. Sometimes he's my buddy and then he goes a bit nuts. I won't give up.

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    That's the spirit! <3 Even Wobbles, the spoiled little mama's boy, bites sometimes. It's mostly hormonal, hopefully when he's out of season he'll calm down. And like someone said above, if I wear gloves he no longer recognizes my hands as...well, my hands, and will attack!

I've had to do the 'mount' punishment a few times, as when he's having a temper tantrum the usual method of holding his bill and saying "NO!" just spurs him on. But after mounting him for 30-60 seconds he calms right down.

1 person likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    Still seems to help. He was a little crazy today but 3 hold downs and he started pecking at my hand instead of biting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by