Biting the Importation Bullet

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by BebeLapinouBlanc, Aug 30, 2011.

1. BebeLapinouBlanc

BebeLapinouBlanc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I think I'm going to end up going the importation route for the two breeds I desperately want. (Mottled Houdan and Standard Crevecoeur) They are beyond difficult to find a "true" species here that are not bantam sized, nor a watered down hatchery baby. **Not saying some of you here in the states don't have them, I've just not met anyone yet lol [​IMG] ** As it is, it's already a pain in the booty to ship to Virginia...so I may as well bring some babies back with me when I next go out of the country... entering and exiting from NYC. I have family in France that DO have both breeds and also know others there that have them as well so that way I can get a wider gene pool for further breeding here..... This in itself will make it slightly easier with the fact I'll be dealing with people I know .... though the entire process makes me want to pound my head against the wall [​IMG]

ALL I WANT ARE SOME BEAUTIFUL FRENCH BABIES!!!!! [​IMG]

Anyways, I have talked with the department in Maryland about the process and have had the info and other paperwork faxed over.... a few other things are being mailed here. Thankfully France is free of END so that will save me from even MORE hassle... All I will need is my permits and the veterinary certificate...... and my soul [​IMG]

Anyways....... I figured I would ask if anyone has done this. ALSO, I unfortunately know I will not be able to carry all of those eggs with me on board... it's not like I'm bringing on bombs or anything...goodness! [​IMG] So under the plane they shall go... which makes me NERVOUS! If anyone here has done this process before I am interested in how you went about it. Did you accompany your eggs/babies? How did it all go for you?

ALSO, I plan on bringing as many as I can back.... so if there is interest in either of these two breeds I'm letting everyone know [​IMG]

Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Jes

Contact info for importation w USDA/ APHIS [​IMG]

USDA, APHIS, VS
    National Center for Import and Export
    4700 River Road, Unit 39
    Riverdale, MD 20737
    (301) 734-8364 Telephone
    (301) 734-6402 Fax

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Send a PM to "ca" here on BYC... she lives in Wickenburg, AZ and recently imported hatching eggs from Belgium. "Sulmtalers"....

She can give you a step, by step procedure on what to do and what NOT to do.

I can't wait until her birds start laying as I have dibs on the first set of hatching eggs.

3. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:BebeLapinouBlanc,
    I have done it! This year in July, I am just about recovered now from the nervous breakdown [​IMG] and the chickies are doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by