bitten off bill

Ms E

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Last evening I noticed that Inga (my blue swedish duck) had lost a chunk of her upper bill. It looks like someone took a bite out of the end of the top bill and she has more of a scoop with a half lid on top of her tongue.

I'm not so focused on the why (because I imagine she yelled at the geese one time too many had they snapped) but more on how best to accomodate her disability.

I understand that it most likely won't grow back but if some of you know differently, please let me know.

The obvious accomodation is a flat plate of food vs. a dip in feeder. Similarly a bucket of water in the winter vs. using the typical chicken waterer. During the summer everyone has access to buckets, the wading pool, etc. Should I consider extra veggie treats since she may be unable to get bugs without the the end of her bill?

Any ideas from the duck experts appreciated.

Thanks.

Ms E

One of my geese cracked her bill almost in half last year. It was the forward portion, on a goose where it is sort of rounded, it grew back and healed. So it is possible that it may grow back.

Back
Top Bottom