1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

bitten off bill

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ms E, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Ms E

Ms E In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Last evening I noticed that Inga (my blue swedish duck) had lost a chunk of her upper bill. It looks like someone took a bite out of the end of the top bill and she has more of a scoop with a half lid on top of her tongue.

I'm not so focused on the why (because I imagine she yelled at the geese one time too many had they snapped) but more on how best to accomodate her disability.

I understand that it most likely won't grow back but if some of you know differently, please let me know.

The obvious accomodation is a flat plate of food vs. a dip in feeder. Similarly a bucket of water in the winter vs. using the typical chicken waterer. During the summer everyone has access to buckets, the wading pool, etc. Should I consider extra veggie treats since she may be unable to get bugs without the the end of her bill?

Any ideas from the duck experts appreciated.

Thanks.

Ms E

2. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Songster

May 12, 2008
    NC
    I once worked at a vet who made prosthetic bills...if all else fails, it could be an option for you.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    One of my geese cracked her bill almost in half last year. It was the forward portion, on a goose where it is sort of rounded, it grew back and healed. So it is possible that it may grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by