1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bitter sweet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kankunkid, Mar 13, 2017.

1. kankunkid

kankunkid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    CANCUN MEXICO
    OK so long story short my wife brought duck eggs about 5 days ago, she didn't tell me anything I set them.in the incubator, like normal, now I've never hatched duck eggs, so I made me daily 28 day check list , set them.in and been attending the egg as normal, until yesterday, she told me how were the eggs going and I said its only around day 5, and she said, but I thought I told you I bought them from a person who had a broody duck and took them from under, at first I didn't know what to say, I just was slightly upset, now I'm sad and angry , because when I received the egg I noticed the egg looked like chicken eggs when they are on day 18,19, but I said mabey that's normal, until she told me last night, so still I had a million things to do today and when I finished I went n turned the egg and felt something move inside. Now the day prior I also felt something move, but j though it just my hand, so today that I found yhr time, I csndled the egg, and you could see the beak right at the air sac, what's frustrating is that I font know what the humidity should be , and BTW its moving, or the temp, had I been given the egg from day one or notified before I would of done all the research needed, but even then, I don't know what day its on, I have oy been hatching chiks for about 3 months and have 8 , and when some have died, I really get sad, especially if I feel like I was at fault, so you can see why its bitter sweet I always wanted a duck, and when I saw its beak, I was filled with bitter sweet, I don't want this bby to die he was better off under his mom, I hope someone can help me with some suggestions, I only have 2 eggs and the other looks like it needs about 8 more days. Any advice would be appreciated

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kankunkid, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us but sorry for your predicament. My best advice would be to post in one or both of the following two links for some advice:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs
    and...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    And, if you'd like to chat with some local poultry folks, find your state thread in the link below and pop over say hello:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I am sorry for what happened! You have been given some great links, so I'll just say thanks for joining and best wishes!

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope things work out for you, redsoxs has given you some great links to check out.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kankunkid [​IMG] Welcome!

Aaaw, I do so very much hope that your ducks are OK and hatch. The folks on the links redsoxs gave you should be able to assist. Please let us know how you go?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. kankunkid

kankunkid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    CANCUN MEXICO
    Thanks everyone for your kindness and advice, of the two eggs one was DOA, and I didn't notice its smell till the hatching date of the bby that survived, he had to be rescued, and I give my wife a lot of credit, she took instructions very well, I'm the one that knows more about the Bator's, temps, humidity but she has the steady hand, she also felt responsible, for not having let me know the eggs incu date, but all is well its water under the bridge, and he's still getting stronger, yesterday I put a blank CD.DVD so he can se his reflection, and he went straight st it, on his first 24 hours I put a video of YouTube so he could hear the audio, I felt so bad that he's alone, and after hearing other ducklings of his kind his energy sky rocketed, I.placed the phone above and he would jump n jump, then I placed a 4 inch girrafe in with him last night and he tuggs real hard on the mane and the ears which to me is a good sign I could see his strength is coming along just fine, his first days he only went for water so I sprinkled feed in so he could get protein, but he's eating out the bowl jfn so I cleaned his bowl up, their intelligence is way superior to that of a chicken, the second video I.played was also of ducks quacking, but they were all in a pond, and my bby 3 min into hearing the video goes places both webs in his water bowl and sits down, I don't think that was a coincidence, I think I'm gonna keep him company until he's about a week old then I'm gonna take him to the vet to sex him and buy him.a significant other, but today was warm and I brought him out but he just sat on my arm, I dislike the heat here in Cancun, but for this bby I wish it this cold front goes away fast , I want him out n about playing,, you learn so much from your first duckling. Thanks you guys,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by