Bittersweet Day....Scout & Silver Gone to New Home

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by speckledhen, Jan 26, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sara came today to pick up my Scout, Silver and lots of youngsters of various ages from 8-13 weeks old. I feel good knowing they're going somewhere that they'll be loved and appreciated, but sad, too because I just loved seeing Scout out there, he's such a handsome guy with his black, green-sheened sickle feathers glowing in the sun. Charlotte, my snuggle bug Ameraucana girl that I'm keeping, wanted Sara to pick her up and hold her, LOL. I think I may have to get a body sling to put Charlotte in like a toddler, she's so insistent on being held all the time. Anyway, thank you again, Sara. It was great to see you again! [​IMG]

2. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I can feel the sadness coming through your message. [​IMG]

Sorry that you guys had to part, but knowing that they will be happy will make it easier.

Good luck in the next phase of your chicken life.

Kay

3. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

maybe scout will find his way back home.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I know you hated letting Scout go.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, I hate letting any of them go, but my mind has to be set that I can't keep every single chick I hatch. Who needs 50 roosters much as I love them? Scout's oldest son that Sara took is 13 weeks old and the friendliest, calmest chick I think I've ever had, plus he's the only cockerel in the bunch crowing. Alas, another rooster! I'll be concentrating on my Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons and Barred Rocks for the time being. I still have my blue girl, Charlotte, so that will help alot. She won't let me be upset for very long!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

At least he got a good home! Glad for you Sara to take them home with you!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Cyn, I know how hard this was for you. It's always refreshing to know they are in a good place tho. I'm glad you decided to keep Charlotte..she sure sounds like a special one and will make your days bright. Can't wait to see your progress on the blue/splash orps. [​IMG]

Jody

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It's so sad to see them go, but I'm glad to hear they are going to a good home. I love Scout. He is so beautiful! I hope Sara posts pics of he and his girls at their new digs.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I can symphathize with you Cyn.....I had to take some of my little roos to the poultry auction last night. All but one were only about 2 months, so I hadn't gotten that attached, but the one older roo I hated to see go. I only have so much room tho, so somebody had to go. I can only hope some went to a home looking for a nice new rooster and not to the frying pan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by