Bittersweet roosting bar? Is it poisonous or bad for use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by princess araucana, Aug 7, 2009.

  1. princess araucana

    princess araucana Songster

    277
    2
    129
    Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    First let me say I HATE BITTERSWEET! I have pulled my back out more than once battling the stuff which has killed giant trees in my yard.

    BUT the big gnarled pieces do make for some funky roosting bars.

    Is it bad to use for any reason? Is it poisonous? If not, hopefully by the end of today I can show off some awesome artistic roosts!!
     
  2. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits...

    35,111
    143
    458
    May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    The berries are poisonous to some animals. I dont know the about the rest of it though..
     
  3. princess araucana

    princess araucana Songster

    277
    2
    129
    Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    yeah its confusing..... they say its poisonous to cats but birds use it as emergency food in winter...

    I think this is the oriental bittersweet, the kind that strangles trees.

    And it is just the thick vine stalk parts, hopefully they will not peck at it, but they are chickens!!
     
  4. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    12,520
    175
    341
    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Plenty, plenty of plants have poisonous berries but the wood is fine. From what I sort of generally ambiently know about bittersweet, I would not hesitate myself to use it, with the bark removed. That is not a guarantee, but I betcha I'm right [​IMG]

    Good luck, have fun,

    Pat
     
  5. princess araucana

    princess araucana Songster

    277
    2
    129
    Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    thanks, would you remove the bark because that might be poisonous?
    It does have a rough bark I thought might be nice grip for the girls.
    I feel like somewhere on here is a do not feed chickens list...
     
  6. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    12,520
    175
    341
    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:No, I doubt it's poisonous, but you will have one heck of a time CLEANING the roost with the bark on. The poo will glue itself on basically permanently. Whereas bare wood can be scraped or attacked with a stiff brush, even sanded if it gets really gross.

    Good luck, have fun,

    Pat
     
  7. princess araucana

    princess araucana Songster

    277
    2
    129
    Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Quote:No, I doubt it's poisonous, but you will have one heck of a time CLEANING the roost with the bark on. The poo will glue itself on basically permanently. Whereas bare wood can be scraped or attacked with a stiff brush, even sanded if it gets really gross.

    Good luck, have fun,

    Pat

    So True! bark is peeled. thanks, pics soon!
     
  8. chickenwhisperer123

    chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

    2,542
    13
    181
    Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:No, I doubt it's poisonous, but you will have one heck of a time CLEANING the roost with the bark on. The poo will glue itself on basically permanently. Whereas bare wood can be scraped or attacked with a stiff brush, even sanded if it gets really gross.

    Good luck, have fun,

    Pat

    So True! bark is peeled. thanks, pics soon!

    And Scaly leg mites LOVE bark [​IMG]

    I wanna see pictures of this... [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: