bitting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbythesea, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ok, so for the past week I've been enjoying hand feeding the little vultures.... now they're open beak nipping me when they take treats from my hand. Is there anyway to correct this or is my hand feeding days over?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have a few that do that too. They want to eat my hand and take a bite out of my palm. I don't hand feed unless it's a big piece of something they can break up. I usually throw their treats(oats, sunflower seed, cracked corn) on the ground or in the coop. I pretty much scatter it, so they can scratch for it.

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I've been throwing their oatmeal on the ground to scratch since they like doing that so much but was hoping the gentle them a bit more... however, the just about taking a chunk out of me kills any joy in hand feeding. I guess I'll just skip it for now. thanks

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My babies did that for a long time. Now that they are about 4 1/2 months old, they are learning that skin does not have to be bitten to enjoy a good snack! I just endured all the biting till now. Hang in there, they may stop with the aggressive biting and learn how to eat out of your hand. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Some of mine do that too. I put on a loose, clean glove on, and feed them wearing that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by