Bizaar Find

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by georgia2, Sep 13, 2011.

1. georgia2

georgia2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

I hope I uploaded these so they show. There are supposed to be 4 pics of a icky find in the nest box. It is rubbery, moist, light colored at one end, and tapers at each end. One end is dark. I found this in the nest box along with 2 eggs. Does anyone have an idea of what it is? It seems like a meaty organ............ of course there are little wood chips stuck to it. It is textured in that it has ridges. It's grossing me out! I did notice that one of the hens had a lot of poop on her feathers, but she has really thick feathers and a little poop isn't that strange. I do have one broody hen who is sitting on 6 eggs of her own. I have no rooster and the eggs are from a fertilized nest of a friend. I hope someone can clue me in!!!
    If the pictures aren't here, you can go to my page and look at my upload. You will know which they are when you get there! hahha

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploadimg_view.php?view=gallery

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Interesting ... I'll have to keep a look out [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. georgia2

georgia2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    Quote:THANKS !!! got a little info!!! It seems no one for sure knows what it is but at least others have experienced it! I think the one with the poo on her rear must be the one who produced it! and my initial guess of it may be a part of the egg laying organ could actually be what it is. This is one thing I'm going to continue to investigate! Thanks so much!!![​IMG] now I'm going to wash my hands AGAIN!!!!!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yeah, I have no insight to what it is for sure. There is precious little info I can find. I kinda lean to thinking that it's related more to being eggbound, but I really don't know.
    This topic gets posted about 3-4 times a year here, and there has no been any definative answers.

Good luck with your hens

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by