Bizarre Chick Behavior?

dct10

Songster
Aug 24, 2020
So our Lav Orp went broody about 2 months ago. She hatched out 9 chicks and has been raising them now for almost a month. I put them into their own little coop and pen adjacent to the big flock. They all get to free range the yard together during the day. Everyone gets along swimmingly. So at night when I am putting them to bed and locking up the coops, I was surprised when one of the 3 week old chicks (obviously a cockrel) immediately runs to my hand, mounts my hand, grabs some skin and begins humping me. At first I thought it might be a fluke of confusion but it now happens each and every night. One of his brothers is even getting in on the act. This is only my 2nd flock of chicks so I don't have years of experience...but is this normal? I can't help but wonder if these boys will grow up to be horrible aggressive roosters. Any advice greatly appreciated.

So our Lav Orp went broody about 2 months ago. She hatched out 9 chicks and has been raising them now for almost a month. I put them into their own little coop and pen adjacent to the big flock. They all get to free range the yard together during the day. Everyone gets along swimmingly. So at night when I am putting them to bed and locking up the coops, I was surprised when one of the 3 week old chicks (obviously a cockrel) immediately runs to my hand, mounts my hand, grabs some skin and begins humping me. At first I thought it might be a fluke of confusion but it now happens each and every night. One of his brothers is even getting in on the act. This is only my 2nd flock of chicks so I don't have years of experience...but is this normal? I can't help but wonder if these boys will grow up to be horrible aggressive roosters. Any advice greatly appreciated.
I had an OEGB mix cockerel start mounting the pullets at about 6 weeks old, which surprised me, but he grew up into a gentleman, & very funny.

Back
Top Bottom