BIZARRE egg tragedy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Aug 24, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Ok so my broody silkie has done great and tomorrow is estimated hatch day. Her only issue is not staying off the nest to poop so I have been having to clean it up out of her nest and so far she has messed her eggs. I also had my bator going with over a dozen eggs and most ended up quiting since my a/c is not working the temps won't regulate so the temps have been going from 99-103 degrees so I took the 3 obviously viable eggs left and put them under her. Well, today she pooped BIG in her nest again to the point I had to pick her up to clean it. I picked her up and handed her to my daughter who passed her to my son because she had some poop on her and for some reason he brought her to the bathroom. [​IMG] He then proceeded to hold her over the toilet, then my daughter comes out screaming and egg! an EGG! it fell in the toilet!! [​IMG] I looked down and realized there was one egg missing from the nest. The kids thought she laid one, I wish. It was a viable egg one day from hatch, one of two japanese that made it this far. [​IMG] So I can't see the egg, it's unreachable, the perfect size and shape to block the toilet. I try with a big spoon to retrieve it and to no avail. At this point I am fighting tears b/c saving the egg became second to unblocking the toilet. so I took the plunger and lightly plunged not to force it down but to pull it out. So I had to try harder and harder, by the time it rolled hard enough to catch it, it was cracked, chick still in the membrane, yolk unabsorbed. [​IMG]

So that is the weirdest egg tragedy I have ever experienced!! With some prayer we won't have anymore of those!!

2. OH NO! That sounds like something that would happen here.
    My first thought would have been a syringe of some kind to help pull it out.
    I hope the rest of the hatch goes smoothly.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    well thats....i dont know what to say sorry you lost an egg

4. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Oh my goodness! That sounds like something that would happen in our house! That's horrible! So sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by