Bizarre Father's Day Gift Idea...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, May 28, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So I'm doing dishes and the TV is on in the background and I overhear an ad. I'm not really paying attention, but the words are slowly sinking in and I'm standing there at the sink thinking, "Did I just hear that right??"

A woman with a soothing voice says something like "Father's Day is coming up soon... Why not get your father a gift of meaning?.... A gift that says you really care..... gift certificates are now available at the So & So Medical Center for Prostate Exams.... "

Now, don't get me wrong! I'm all for prostate exams, I'm all for dads, I love my father dearly and want him to be healthy, but SERIOUSLY! For Father's Day!?!

Can you imagine that special family moment? Everyone's at The 99 Restaurant treating dad to dinner, and now he's digging in to his "All American" Apple Pie & Ice Cream (or is that Uno's?). Cards are being passed around, some have goofy cartoons that make fun of him with the TV remote, others have Mallard Ducks and poetry.... Then comes my gift. "Surprise! It's a Prostate Exam!" [​IMG] [​IMG] ......Talk about awkward [​IMG]

I know my dad for one would NOT appreciate the gifting of a prostate check. I really think he'd rather just about anything but that. Some people will cash in on anything it seems. [​IMG]

By the way, if anyone has any brilliant ideas (other than a prostate exam) I'd love to hear suggestions. My father helped me all winter long with my new house, bringing in firewood, unthawing pipes during storms, etc. I'd love to do something extra nice, but don't have a clue what to do.

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Last year, my eight year daughter *insisted* that my wife purchase a men's hair coloring kit for Father's day. "My dad should *not* have gray hair, he is not that old". Yep, that was my present!

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:So did you use it? My ex boyfriend got me an ironing board once for my Birthday. Notice I said my EX boyfriend. I was like 20 and we weren't even married! I'm like, "What the heck are you thinking?!"

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] Times must be tough! We have an add running on the radio here where a couple of men are talking about their wrinkles and dark circles under their eyes and how much they'd like to go see Dr. So & So for a touchup and facial stuff. These docs must be hurting to run all these ads! I guess there aren't enough female patients with some cash to spend lately. [​IMG]

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    [​IMG] I saw a similar commercial and was cracking up.

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I take dad golfing the week before each year, it's our buddy time. This year he got a day of mini-golf with his grandsons.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Oh My Gawd my MIL would KILL ME... but... it might be worth it. [​IMG]

Ohhh better yet, I'll get one for my BIL... he clearly needs some help getting his head out of his... ahem.

8. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    You mean you don't think that's a nice gift? [​IMG]

A little off topic, I know someone who got her daughter a wax kit for her birthday... Nothing says you look like a Wookie quite like getting that as a gift lol.

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, one year when I was a kid I got my Uncle a toothbrush (the newfangled kind), paste, floss the whole shebang since last I saw him he was complaining about a tooth ailment... now I look back and think "OMG how could my mom have let me be so RUDE!"

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:My first MIL gave me an electric shaver..... [​IMG] we loathed each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by