Bizarre Foods w/ Andrew Zimmern .....Balut

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Dogginfox, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just watching Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel and the host, Andrew Zimmern was in the Philippines where he ate something I couldn't even comprehend.

Balut

Balut is a Steamed Fertilized Duck Egg!!!!

The eggs are incubated for 18 days and then simply steamed and eaten like a hard boiled egg!

I couldn't believe it.

2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Ewwww, gross. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He is gross. I do not watch him. It is not always about what he eats either. He eats with his mouth open and acts like a pig. A big American pig roaming the globe in search of weird food. No wonder other cultures think we Americans are disgustingly rude without manners at meal times.

4. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Hey, no flaming...I like him.
    I eat with my mouth closed though.
    And I would not eat Balut.

P.s - Just a little tongue in cheek kiddin on the flaming remark, I don't really care.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    I find myself strangely fascinated by this show. I know intellectually that other cultures "waste" less food than we do in the US. But some of the things that are eaten. :eek:

(I do find the sheer volume of weird food he can put away fascinating, too.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Hey, I was just watching that show! I think its interesting to see what they eat in other countries, but some things just seem horrible. Like Balut, and he ate and Iguana one time! Im a major softy for reptiles, so that hit the heart. [​IMG]

7. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think something is wrong with me, I was watching the show the other day, and it made me hungry.

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm also drawn to that show, like watching a train wreck.....

he is gross, he'll put ANYTHING in his mouth its just nasty...

I saw one show where they had duck heads and such - just horrible, and he popped them in like he was eating a "regular" meal!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've enjoyed that show and watch his latest one last night. I know most of the stuff we never would dream of eating but its nothing strange for him to eat it overseas because it is what they eat.

I dont think I would try the Balut....too gross for me. I'd rather eat sardines out of a can on crackers than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by