Bizarre Nestbox Behavior

BYF101

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
My 15 month old Easter Egger has been laying 5-7 eggs weekly without fail for the last 6 months. Last month, however, she suddenly quit laying at all when I put all 6 of my hens on a round of antibiotics in their water (Duramycin) to treat some kind of respiratory infection that a new hen to my flock appeared to have brought with her. None of my hens except the new one had symptoms, but I treated the whole flock. My EE quit laying about 5 days into the 10 day Duramycin treatment. That was a month ago and she hasn't laid an egg since. But the weird thing is that every day for 2-3 hours she still goes and sits in her favorite nestbox like she I tends to lay an egg, and she even sometimes clucks up a storm when she exits the nestbox, just as she would when she actually lays an egg. Yet she has yet to lay a single egg in the last month. Have any of you seen a hen quit laying due to antibiotic treatment? How long did the lack of egg production go on? And why does my hen continue to act as if she's laying each day even though no eggs are being produced? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom