Bizarre (or not?) membrane coated egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thegreypony, Jan 22, 2010.

1. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry - no photo as I've already cleaned the egg off and then cracked it to see what was inside.

One of our EEs has laid 2 eggs like this so far. The egg is normal in every respect but it is encased in what is most easily described as the interior membrane. It's like the egg is delivered in its own little ziploc baggie. Once you remove the outer membrane - and you have to tear it - the egg underneath is normal and the contents inside are normal. Perhaps the shell seems a little thin to me but otherwise normal.

Can anyone shed light on this? The 4 EEs are wicked flighty - can't catch 'em or fool with 'em - and I have no idea which one is laying this weirdo egg. All the girls are on a diet of 16% layer crumble, scratch grains, and kitchen scraps (only safe scraps - no taters, etc.). They have a 35' x 15' run so they eat bugs, worms, etc. and I throw them "greens" from the yard. They also have free access fresh water, grit, and oyster shell. Everyone else is producing normal eggs.

Is this just the way this bird is going to be or do I need to ferret out the hen and make adjustments to her environment/feed?

TIA for any help!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    They need more calcium. Try mixing the oyster shell in with their food, or when you give them table scraps. that should fix your problem.[​IMG]

3. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    It sounds like the hen just had a "glitch"when forming the egg or passing the egg.It happens from time to time no matter how well you manage yor chickens.I do'nt think you need to worry and chances are you will not see it again anytime soon.Since they have free choice calcium I would not worry about mixing it in with the feed.Just my 2 cents and good luck with your chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by