Bizarre question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Trish1974, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Hi everyone, I have a rather odd question, not sure where to place it so forgive me if this isn't the correct forum. I will be getting chickens within the next few months. Still unsure if I will be getting chicks or buying adults from local farmers. Since last fall, my neighbor's free range chickens have been coming over to my house. In fact, as soon as he lets them out in the morning they literally RUN over to my house and spend all day here, then go home to roost. The flock consists of 9 golden comet hens and their rooster. I do feed them, and give them water since they are here all day and it is a looonnggg walk back to their house. If I get my own flock (which I plan to let free range), will there be a turf war between the neighbor's flock and mine? I'm sure they see my land as their own. I do not want him to start locking his up, that wouldn't be fair to the chickens plus he probably wouldn't do it anyway since we have had problems in the past because of his trespassing dog he wouldn't keep off my property. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Toughie that one. Short of keeping your chickens (and i would advise getting 4+ month old birds) in a separate area, so both sets of birds can see, but not touch for a while, it could be a bit of a tough introduction. Maybe fencing your land is the only real option. Maybe if you stop feeding and watering them they may stay on their owners land.

Good luck

CT

2 people like this.
  3. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Thanks CT! Unfortunately, fencing in 18 acres is not an option LOL! Another worry I have, is if the 2 flocks do end up getting along, will my chickens be tempted to follow the others home in the evening??

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    They should not if you keep them in their coop for 2-3 days. What do you plan to do? Biosecurity could be an issue - what if next doors flock infects yours, for example?

5. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I believe the chickens come to your house because you feed them. If it was me, I would stop feeding them so they would look for a different food source near their coop. My neighbor had chickens but they never come to our side, but every now and then one of mine ends in his coop. There is a 4 ft wire fence between our properties to keep his cows in his land but my chickens find a way to go to his side. My chickens run towards me when I call them, they know that there is food and treats when I cluck for them.

6. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    I've only recently started feeding and watering them; they were here for months before I started that. My land is a virtual playground for them. I have sandy spots where they like to take dust bathes, they like to fluff beds in the dead needles underneath my pine trees, I have a marsh behind the house where they like foraging seeds and bugs, and the neighbor's land is 2 acres of absolute bare ground. I don't think they are going to leave no matter what I do! [​IMG]

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's possible that your current chickens (that's pretty much what they are when they're only sleeping at the neighbor's place) will be territorial if you get "your own" chickens. I hope your visiting chickens are at least laying their eggs on your property so you get them since you're going to the expense and trouble of feeding and watering them. You're far more tolerant than I am.

3 people like this.
  8. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    I am hoping they will start laying here. If they do, I probably won't get my own! They are not quite a year old, so I imagine it will be a few more months before they start laying??

9. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Set up a couple of nest boxes with some golf balls or fake eggs near where you feed them. They will give you some eggs in exchange for the food. [​IMG]
    If the chickens are from last fall, they should start laying soon, I have some from Sept/Oct that started laying.

1 person likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by