Bizarre situation with my ameracauna - toes won't curl to grasp roosting bar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzsterling, Sep 15, 2016.

1. suzsterling

suzsterling Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
    Kuna, Idaho
    One of my ameracauna chicken's feet won't curl when on roosting bar and she's been sleeping on the floor. Anyone know what's going on?:(

2. ChickenMomma14

ChickenMomma14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    That is a weird situation I have never heard of this before. But my guess is she does not like being up on the roost or she is not a good flyer.
    How old is she?
    And what breed is she?

3. ChickenMomma14

ChickenMomma14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    It took me months to get my silver laced Cochin to sit on the bar and actually do it right. But because she is not a good flyer she doesn't get up on the one outside only the low one on the inside(which I had to make just for her)[​IMG]

4. suzsterling

suzsterling Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
    Kuna, Idaho
    She used to do it no problem. This is new. I try to put her up there and she straightens her toes. Weird.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How big are your roosts? Chickens need roosts that are sized appropriately for their feet. Larger birds need roosts to be at least 4 inches wide or in diameter. It could be that you are using roosts that are too small/narrow, and your girl has just outgrown them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by