BJ roo-Good thoughts grt'lyapprec-NO!RIP my beautiful boy ELLIE UPDATE

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
I failed my boy.

I thought it was his molt, but his molt turned out to be mild and still he wasn't right.

I thought it was a first-ever case of mites, treated for mites, and still he wasn't right, though I thought he had improved for a little while.

I had a few months back treated with Ivomec Eprinex pour-on in case of worms.

Due to an incredibly consuming infuriating legal matter that is an attempt to save my house from destruction via flooding (plus all the other stuff of life like work), I didn't get BJ to the vet as soon as I otherwise would have. I called Friday at 2:30 and they were already closed.....drat, didn't know they closed early on Fridays. Next chance was yesterday. Called as soon as they opened and drove him there with Ellie for company as he worries so much if he doesn't have her in his sight.

Maybe this info will help somebody else.

The vet looked at his stool and said it was very badly full of yeast and so yesterday he was started on Fluconazole, once daily. He's had 2 doses now. Vet said it works quickly but BJ is worse today than yesterday, completely lethargic. He said the yeast is usually secondary in that it takes hold when something else is wrong and a bird is weak. That the med may help how he feels but will not address whatever the underlying condition is that make him weak in the first place. He said a bad case of yeast can do irreversible damage to vital organs
sad.png

He also said to add ACV to water for days - so I started the ACV yesterday.

He found a few roundworm eggs in the stool (I gathered that was not much of an infestation from his reaction) and suggested I worm him again, 3 times at 10 day intervals. I am worried about worming him when he is so weak yet what if the worms are part of the reason why he is weak (you would have thought the IE would have taken care of the problem?). He is sooo weak.

The vet took blood but the results won't be back till Friday or Saturday unfortunately and also unfortunately many things that could be wrong won't show up in bloodwork.

He thought about starting him on an antibiotic just in case badly needed but hesitated because antibiotic kills the good bacteria too and thus more yeast can take hold. Although he said the yeast meds should take care of that. He said if BJ got worse that I should call him and he'd probably prescribe baytril in absence of blood work results where more might be revealed late in the week. I don't know if BJ will live that long.
sad.png
I'm concerned about adding antibiotic to the mix yet don't know the best course at this point.

BJ's only symptoms have been lethargy and lately, puffing up some. No discharges, poop looked normal to the human eye. He has lost weight - only about 4.5 pounds at the vets yesterday - was over 5 pounds last time vet weighed him some time back.....Not good..

Today he wouldn't eat at all before I left for work, except for a few tomatoes and blueberries (it's moisture at least) but I know that means he feels like crud. Yesterday he ate more and explored a fair amount. Took a risk and let he and Ellie out of their run to give him something to live for - exploring and having fun. I have hardly been doing that at all anymore because people in the neighborhood have been so irresponsible with their dogs.

The mosquitos around here have become unbearable of late. Standing still he will get devoured but he wants to be outdoors and near Ellie.

Should have left a long time ago for work - a meeting that's required starts soon - I don't want to leave my boy.

Thank you for any and all good thoughts, good energy, for BJ roo. He is as sweet and selfless as they come. He's an older fellow these days - at least 9 and maybe 10. JJ

Last edited:
Poor boy, I hope he improves...I lost a chicken recently, first one not by a predator-it's hard when they are sick and you can't really figure out what's going on! Best of Luck!

I would contact Dr Peter Brown - the Chicken Doctor. He would be able to give you an expert opinion on what might be wrong. Check the First State Vet Supply website.

Thanks very much Gold and nonsuch.

Have talked to Peter Brown a lot over the years - he's great. I hope test results shed light on something that will help and that the universe will kindly give BJ strength to hang on till the right treatment is in place..., if indeed treatment is possible. Just got him to drink several gulps of ACV water but he's still not walking around like he was yesterday.
sad.png
Racing to the meeting now.
sad.png

JJ

Last edited:
JJ,
I'm so sorry about BJ. It sounds like you are doing all you can right now. And maybe the blood will show something. I'm glad Ellie is staying with him. Is it possible it's something age-related? Something just slowing down? I hope not. I hope medication can help whatever it is. My first chickens are still in the 5 year old range so I haven't had any older than that yet. Don't worry about Ellie being alone yet. Just put your energy into BJ. I can help you later on with Ellie if you want to try putting her with my group. I know it would be tough but I just want you to know you have the option and I will help. Please let me know what the tests show and how he's doing. I'll be thinking of him.
Jill

Jill, thank you so very much for your note, your kindness, your good wishes for BJ and your incredibly thoughtful self re: Ellie. Will keep you posted.

I did speak with Peter Brown to try to make sure I leave no stone unturned here and he thought I should go ahead and worm him. He recommended Wazine, noting it to be more gentle than IE though we both know the Wazine will not get all worms. It will kill roundworms and that's good but if BJ has capillary worms it won't fix that.
Local feed store has no wormer, believe it or not but I found a Tractor Supply a distance away that does and Ex-DH is picking it up for me since I'm at work. (the Tractor Supply person thought BJ should have a Vit B shot - I probably should have thought of that at the vets yesterday).

Peter Brown recommended tube feeding. Even after umpteen years of chickens, I have never tube fed anybody and am concerned that I would screw it up so I hope BJ eats for me. Ex-DH was over there just a few minutes ago and got BJ to eat some good quality kitty crunchies from his hand (he rejected everything else) so I am glad he is at least eating something. Brown reinforced the importance of food and drink and said once the proventriculus ('true stomach') shuts down there is no hope.

JJ

Oh dear Gods. Hugs and kisses for our dearest BJ and lotsa prayers coming on swift chicken wings...If you can get handfeeding formula into his beak he might get some in there...
Glad that the ex got some crunchies into him.

Judy, we NEVER fail our babies...sometimes it's just meant to be otherwise...

Don't feel bad, you haven't failed your chicken, you're doing everything you can. Some people would kill a sick chicken to stop the sickness from spreading.

Brenda - so good to "see" you again. Thanks for your sweet and kind wishes for BJ.
hugs.gif
I feel like you've known him forever. We're on the same wavelength - I picked up the parrot hand feeding formula tonight. Didn't know it was a powder - should be interesting trying to get some into him, poor fellow. Looks like it has to be mixed with water and syringed...........as gentle as he is, it's going to be tough as he keeps his beak closed when a dropper or syringe gets within 30 feet of it but I have to try. Though I've managed ever so slowly to get the antifungal into him these last 2 days that same way... The pet food store said the parrot formula doesn't taste good......that wasn't good to hear..trying to think what I could mix with it to make it taste better.
Hope things are good with you and thanks ever so much for being here for BJ.

EM, thank you. Truth is though, BJ should have been to the vet weeks ago. I really thought I had hit on the problem when I did the mite treatment. Some of his feathers weren't looking good and I thought it was the molt but then I decided it was more because some of the feathers had kind of a greasy look. After the mite treatment the feathers went back to looking good so I thought I had solved the problem and that he would start to feel better and he seemed to but now he's way worse....
sad.png

I realize that at his age, things are tougher for him no matter the cause.
JJ

Last edited:
Oh gosh JJ - got your PM
sad.png
Perhaps you could put the baby parrot food in with some cooked oatmeal? I hope he improves! Wow, I didn't know the guy was such an older gent. My best wishes for him to turn around with this issue!

So sweet that you bring Ellie with him so he's not alone.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom