BJG Cockerel Snaps Head Side to Side.

BigBlueHen53

We will get through this... together!
Premium Feather Member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
George snaps his neck and head sharply from side to side, I would say frequently (rather than occasionally), and he does it whether I am out there or not, so it's not an aggressive move. He's 8 months old and very much a gentleman, both with the hens/ pullets and with humans. He seems otherwise healthy, strong and fit, and is subordinate to a 2-yo mutt EE roo that was hatched here. We are currently feeding feather fixer crumble as everyone has just come off a pretty hard molt, and we toss a handful of scratch and a half cup of meal worms out twice a day for a total of 24 birds. Oops, no - they only get the meal worms in the afternoon. The food is available all the time in a no-waste feeder I made out of a plastic trash can and PVC elbows. There is grass, forbs, weeds, etc.available pretty much all the time in their run and where they free range a couple hours a day. I don't know if this is a nervous habit he has, like a tic, or if his ears bother him; if it's neurological or something else. Has anyone seen this before? Should I worry about it? I never saw him get in a serious fight with Silverwings, so the idea of a head injury does not really come to mind, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Aug 18, 2019
Australia
I took in a cockerel the previous owners called Tic because he was near constantly flick his head side to side like you describe. I thought neurological problem at first then maybe worms or deficiency in something, anyway after few months he was doing it less and less and then not at all. I think it could have been defiency, dunno what they fed him.
Nutrition? You feed a great diet it sounds like but do you see him getting enough of the poultry feed with vit/mins to eat?- since he's not top dog maybe he's missing out and needs to be separate for part of the day with own feed for a little while and vit water? And I assume you deworm so that wouldn't be the issue?

BigBlueHen53

We will get through this... together!
Premium Feather Member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
I took in a cockerel the previous owners called Tic because he was near constantly flick his head side to side like you describe. I thought neurological problem at first then maybe worms or deficiency in something, anyway after few months he was doing it less and less and then not at all. I think it could have been defiency, dunno what they fed him.
Nutrition? You feed a great diet it sounds like but do you see him getting enough of the poultry feed with vit/mins to eat?- since he's not top dog maybe he's missing out and needs to be separate for part of the day with own feed for a little while and vit water? And I assume you deworm so that wouldn't be the issue?
Thanks. No, I don't deworm but I shall and see if that helps. He is the only one doing this, though.

Top Bottom