BJG Cockerel Snaps Head Side to Side.

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
George snaps his neck and head sharply from side to side, I would say frequently (rather than occasionally), and he does it whether I am out there or not, so it's not an aggressive move. He's 8 months old and very much a gentleman, both with the hens/ pullets and with humans. He seems otherwise healthy, strong and fit, and is subordinate to a 2-yo mutt EE roo that was hatched here. We are currently feeding feather fixer crumble as everyone has just come off a pretty hard molt, and we toss a handful of scratch and a half cup of meal worms out twice a day for a total of 24 birds. Oops, no - they only get the meal worms in the afternoon. The food is available all the time in a no-waste feeder I made out of a plastic trash can and PVC elbows. There is grass, forbs, weeds, etc.available pretty much all the time in their run and where they free range a couple hours a day. I don't know if this is a nervous habit he has, like a tic, or if his ears bother him; if it's neurological or something else. Has anyone seen this before? Should I worry about it? I never saw him get in a serious fight with Silverwings, so the idea of a head injury does not really come to mind, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

I took in a cockerel the previous owners called Tic because he was near constantly flick his head side to side like you describe. I thought neurological problem at first then maybe worms or deficiency in something, anyway after few months he was doing it less and less and then not at all. I think it could have been defiency, dunno what they fed him.
Nutrition? You feed a great diet it sounds like but do you see him getting enough of the poultry feed with vit/mins to eat?- since he's not top dog maybe he's missing out and needs to be separate for part of the day with own feed for a little while and vit water? And I assume you deworm so that wouldn't be the issue?

I took in a cockerel the previous owners called Tic because he was near constantly flick his head side to side like you describe. I thought neurological problem at first then maybe worms or deficiency in something, anyway after few months he was doing it less and less and then not at all. I think it could have been defiency, dunno what they fed him.
Nutrition? You feed a great diet it sounds like but do you see him getting enough of the poultry feed with vit/mins to eat?- since he's not top dog maybe he's missing out and needs to be separate for part of the day with own feed for a little while and vit water? And I assume you deworm so that wouldn't be the issue?
Thanks. No, I don't deworm but I shall and see if that helps. He is the only one doing this, though.

Back
Top Bottom