Bk/BL Copper Marans X Lavender Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamashomestead, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mamashomestead

mamashomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    I am wondering what the characteristics of these three crosses would turn out to be.

Black Copper Marans Roo breed with a Lavender Orpington hen
    Blue Copper Marans Roo breed with a Lavender Orpington hen
    Lavender Orpington Roo breed with a Black Copper Marans hen

Any thoughts??

I have read the thread Lavender Marans. However, the project breed away from the copper coloring as they desired. How would it progress towards the copper coloring? As I understand they took my third cross suggestion?

:confused: :frow:caf :confused: :fl

2. mamashomestead

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    "heritagehabitatfarms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolftracks
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heritagehabitatfarms
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolftracks
    I'm so enjoying this thread so far. I have lost both lav orps this year, so I never got started. I only have FBCMs to work with but they are from Davis lines, so nice egg color.

How had is it to breed out the coppering or I was also thinking a lav copper would also be pretty, but would it be something anyone wants?

Lav dilutes the red to a yellow color kinda looks smutty... thats y i have worked so hard to stay away from it...

So don't try it at all?

That's so disappointing. The only other color Marans I have is a blue and not going there with lav.

Yes try it... sry i did not meen for it to sound that way... i was just pointing out what it would look like and why i tryed to avoid it... i think it would look good if you could get alot more red in your black coppers... this would look better when it is yellow and Lav... if you could get them to where it was about 50% yellow i think it would look really cool... but most black coppers dont have that much red...

i say try it and see what you get... the Lav color is still new and there is alot we still have to learn about the color and how it works with other colors...

Elias in Clinton AR.
    White Empordanesa. Black French Marans. White Marans. project Lav Marans. an EE project. dun O.E.G.B. project dun crele O.E.G.B. white bobwhite quail. cinnamon and red coturnix quail.
    ReplyQuote Multi"

This is a grouping of post from the other thread. Would it be possible to breed the opposite way to get the copper at all? If so, how would one go about getting to that point? Which of the above possible crosses be best suited to achieve the copper coloring over a lavender body?

3. mamashomestead

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    [​IMG]

A black copper marans crossed with a lavender Orpington....... He weights over 8 lbs def took the orps weight

4. mamashomestead

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    [​IMG]

5. AletaG

AletaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    This is kind of interesting. Circumstances have left me with a nice Eng Lav Orp pullet and a Birchen Marans roo. Obviously you are working for the copper, but I'm wondering about a Birchen Orpington. That would be awfully pretty, to my mind.

It's either that or consign the Orp to the layer pen, and eat Mr. Birchen. He's the last of what started out as 2 pair.

If I go there, will let you know what happens...
    -AG

6. mamashomestead

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    Yes it's defiantly interesting in my mind also

7. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I don't breed and I don't have a rooster, but this sounds very interesting. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. mamashomestead

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    Thanks I have a beautiful black copper roo that has a bit of an attitude and the oh love of his life is a lavender hen lol she keeps him in line I'd love to hatch their eggs but I'd like some direction to go in. I love copper and lavender (literally in life outside chickens lol) so why not wonder how a chicken would look like =D

I don't know if I posted this in the right place or not :(
    Just wish someone would come along full of information fingers crossed!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  9. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

A black copper marans crossed with a lavender Orpington....... He weights over 8 lbs def took the orps weight

@mamashomestead LOL.....I didn't know anybody had copied this photo! This is my guy! He is a capon, as you can see by his comb color and size. He weights 10 1/2 pounds now, and is on the menu for Easter dinner. He is 10 months old now. The only reason I had him was that my LO was the only rooster I had at the time, I wanted to learn to caponize, and I had a broody Marans hen. I had never had a broody hatch, so I just collected eggs from my layers. There were other breeds in the my layer flock, but none with feathered legs except for the Marans, and as you can see he has the feathered legs.

What do you think about these guys? I bought them as splash Marans, and they were in fact out of blue parents. The parents were both blue, and the rooster appeared birchen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the parents. Here is their offspring. I apologize for the picture quality. I took them with my cell phone a while back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought they were an unusual color for a splash, but thought it was because of the birchen.....any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by