Bl/B/S Ameraucana color questions . . . advice please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Sep 14, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I can't figure out that darn color calculator. So was hoping someone in the know would just tell me what to do and what the results might be . . . please [​IMG]

I bought and hatched two batches of Ameracucana eggs from fellow BYCers both were reportedly from Blue/Black/Splash crossings, I don't know at this point from what color over what color, but I may be able to find out if it makes a difference.

What I ended up with was:
    1 Black Roo - excellent type and features
    1 Blue/Splash Roo - Nice looking & Beautiful color, but smaller than I would like
    3 Black Pullets - 1 excellent, 2 ok
    3 Blue/splash Pulletts, again Nice looking & Beautiful color, but smaller than I would like
    1 Bluish pullet - great body, not sure about the color yet

SOOO . . . . Do I put black with black, and blue with blue, or does the black roo go in with the blue girls and vice a versa? What happens if I do . . .?(color wise [​IMG] )

Any and all advice and direction would be appreciated.

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

If the black male is the best, I'd put him over the pullets with the nicest type for now.
    You could sort out different colour pens, & select for the separate colours in time.

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    You found the calculator but missed all the blue topics?
    I must have done something right [​IMG]

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Henk LOLOLOL you got that right...

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ok as long as they are BBS you can mix and match as you please but be sure you pick the ones with the best type.....you might end up with all blues or all blacks.......so you can mix and match black over blue/blue over black/blue over blue/black over black/blue over splash/black over splash/ splash over splash!

if you put a black roo over a blue hen or vise versa you will get black and blue chicks
    if you put all blue chickens together you will get blue chicks
    if you put all black chickens together you will get all black chicks

and on the off chance you do have splash
    if you put splash roo over blue hen or vise versa you will get blue and splash chicks
    if you put a black roo over splash hens or vise versa you will get all blue chicks

these are your choice good luck and happy breeding

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Quote:I thought blue x blue gave you blue, splash and black chicks?

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:well . . . I'm assuming you are being facetious.
    I did find the calculator, but am having trouble following the steps. I had an accident two years ago and my brain isn't what it used to be . . . at least now I can drive and remember my kids names; but this is just a bit beyond me, that's why I was asking for help. I'm sure it works great and is just operator errorsssss:rolleyes:

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:LOL . . .

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:thanks! that's what I was looking for.
    I sell chicks in the spring and wanted to add the blue color . . . So the black roo over the splash hens does it . . .
    would the splash roo over the black hens give all blue too?

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:I thought blue x blue gave you blue, splash and black chicks?

i pretty sure it only gives you blue chicks it might give you the occasional splash but i highly doubt black

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by