black Ameraucana, black Penedesenca, and black Australorp?

glastonbury

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
NW Indiana
from the little i've read so far the only characteristic which stands out to me is the shiny metallic hues of green/blue/purple common with the Ameraucana. Can the Penedesenca and Australorp also have these hues on their black feathers? are there other distinguishing features i can look for to differentiate these three breeds. the Delaware and Dominique were so easy to tell apart, haha.

An Ameraucana will have muffs, so it should be easy to tell from the others.

Penedesenca's have white earlobes and a carnation comb.

Australorps have a single comb and red earlobes.

wow, thanks for the quick replies with clear detail! i'll take a closer look at them in the morning. i hope to be a chicken wiz like you all someday.

There's so much more to a breed than color. Body shape, comb style, leg color, these are all things to consider.

Black Ameraucanas are longer, leaner birds. The hens are around 5lbs, roosters 6lbs, give or take. Pea combs, beards and muffs, and slate legs. they lay blue eggs

Black Australorps are rounder, fluffier with looser feathers. Females are 6+ lbs, males 8+. Straight combs and white skin. Regular brown eggs.

Black Penedesenca are also smallish birds, hens around 4+ and males 5-6. White ear lobes, slate legs, dark brown eggs. Carnation combs.

Pretty much any black feathers can have the beetle sheening of purple or green, so that's not something to id a breed.

Back
Top Bottom