1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black Ameraucana, black Penedesenca, and black Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by glastonbury, Feb 18, 2015.

1. glastonbury

glastonbury Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    NW Indiana
    from the little i've read so far the only characteristic which stands out to me is the shiny metallic hues of green/blue/purple common with the Ameraucana. Can the Penedesenca and Australorp also have these hues on their black feathers? are there other distinguishing features i can look for to differentiate these three breeds. the Delaware and Dominique were so easy to tell apart, haha.

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    An Ameraucana will have muffs, so it should be easy to tell from the others.

Penedesenca's have white earlobes and a carnation comb.

Australorps have a single comb and red earlobes.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

These traits should help you identify your birds.

5. glastonbury

glastonbury Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    NW Indiana
    wow, thanks for the quick replies with clear detail! i'll take a closer look at them in the morning. i hope to be a chicken wiz like you all someday.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There's so much more to a breed than color. Body shape, comb style, leg color, these are all things to consider.

Black Ameraucanas are longer, leaner birds. The hens are around 5lbs, roosters 6lbs, give or take. Pea combs, beards and muffs, and slate legs. they lay blue eggs

Black Australorps are rounder, fluffier with looser feathers. Females are 6+ lbs, males 8+. Straight combs and white skin. Regular brown eggs.

Black Penedesenca are also smallish birds, hens around 4+ and males 5-6. White ear lobes, slate legs, dark brown eggs. Carnation combs.

Pretty much any black feathers can have the beetle sheening of purple or green, so that's not something to id a breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by