Black ameraucana hens with blue wheaten rooster - blue chicks?

Katz103

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Hi,
I have some eggs hatching as I'm typing this, from a few breeds (lavender Orps, Faverolles, WBW Ameraucanas, black Ameraucanas, Silkies).
I'm able to identify the WBW, Lavender orps, silkies and Faverolles which are mostly yellow chicks. The ones that have me stumped come from black ameraucana hens covered by a blue wheaten ameraucana rooster. What color should chicks be?
I'm seeing some that are black while others are grey - is this possible from these two original colors, and will they become blue? I'm new to chickens, and even more so to chicken genetics. Thanks!

Hi,
I have some eggs hatching as I'm typing this, from a few breeds (lavender Orps, Faverolles, WBW Ameraucanas, black Ameraucanas, Silkies).
I'm able to identify the WBW, Lavender orps, silkies and Faverolles which are mostly yellow chicks. The ones that have me stumped come from black ameraucana hens covered by a blue wheaten ameraucana rooster. What color should chicks be?
I'm seeing some that are black while others are grey - is this possible from these two original colors, and will they become blue? I'm new to chickens, and even more so to chicken genetics. Thanks!
I think ( but I am not expert) that you will get a mix of blue black and splash from that cross

To the best of my knowledge it will work out that the Wheaten gene will be covered by the black gene, so you won't see any signs of Wheaten. Because the female is black, and the male is blue, all Cockerels should be black, and 50% of the Pullets will be black. The remaining 50% of pullets of will be blue.

50% chance they'll be blue
50% chance they will be black.
That's for both pullets and cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom