Black and Blue Orpington Bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by EweSheep, May 22, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well, dang, 25 of those chicks came in the mail and I put them under the broody Silky mom. She took them all in and hope all 25 will be ok on her. They are in a carboard box nest along with some shredded bedding. All of them arrived within 24 hours and lost blue one under the pile, being smashed by his brothers and sisters. I hope not too many chicks for her to deal with but they are in a 24"x24"x18" wire cage with carboard sides and a bulb offset from the carboard nesting box.

Some are RIR and possibly Spanish Bantams but the breeder is certainly nice to add in a few more chicks to the order when he is facing uneven hatchings. Thats OK, I'm please they are doing well so far.

Once they are settled in, I will take some pictures!

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Where did you get the chicks? That sounds lik a lot for one hen. I guess it's good that there is a lamp. Maybe someone more experienced will have something to say.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The breeder is Dick Hourseman, a judge out in the East Coast. I think Mothergoose or some BYCer told me about him and I had to inquire about his bantam Orpingtons and had to be on his list earlier this year. It was nearly a four month wait but worth it! Remember they are not cheap either! His cost is five dollars per chick and shipping was over 30 dollars Express mail.

I will keep an eye out on those chicks every few hours to make sure they are doing ok. If it is too much for Momma and half of the chicks are cold or complaining, then I will have to cut the flock by half, keep the other half in another pen and the other half of the chicks with Momma.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well congrats on the nice babies! I hope to get some next year-maybe dh will have recovered from chick shock by then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by