1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black and Blue Wyandotte Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blueoval1, Apr 12, 2009.

1. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Hi I am looking for a few blue and black wyandotte bantams. Does anyone know much about this breed the colors seem to be pretty rare. Thanks

2. blueoval1

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Anyone [​IMG]

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I have partridge wyandotte bantams. First strain, great egg layers, didn't go broody easily. The strain I have now, look better but don't lay as well and go broody.

Every strain (regardless of color) will be different in bantams. They are bred for appearances so production properties/temperament will vary more than with standard varieties.

4. blueoval1

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    What do you mean you say the strain, Thanks

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Black and Blue can be bred together. Black is very common. Google "American Bantam Association" and contact the president, he'll set you up with a breeder in your area. They're a cold tolerant breed that lays well and is known for broodiness. The breed is very susceptible to Marek's Disease.

http://sites.google.com/site/moodysbantams/moody-s-birds/wyandotte-bantams

6. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:each breeder/hatchery has their own genetics to this breed or color w/in the breed. So depending upon what characteristics they have bred for, how that particle strain/family will act.

If they are a little inbred, they might have more or less physical defects or their temperament might be different.

Hope this helps clear what I meant up.

7. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a Blue Wyandotte bantam hen, and I love love LOVE!! She is turning 5 this year, and is my best layer of my bantams. I show her in 4-h and she always does really well, she got best of poultry at the last show I went to. Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

8. blueoval1

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Thanks seedcorn

Playswithfowl your hen is gorgeous where did you get her,

9. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I got her from a breeder in Portland Oregon, but I don't think he breeds Blues anymore? His name is Travis Schaal.
    --PWF

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by