black and yellow spots?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ctptcha, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Ctptcha

Ctptcha Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Hello again,
    I have 9 pekin duck eggs due to hatch( not hatching yet day 30 still nothing [​IMG]) but on two of the eggs there is one yellow blotch on each of them. Just yesterday, one of the yellow blotches turned black. What do I do?
    Thanks!

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    They might be trying to pip in those discolored spots. I just had two eggs develop discolored spots just like that the day before they were due to hatch. Both were on the small end of the egg, and I was confused what the spots could be. By the next morning one had externally pipped right in the middle of the discolored area. I had to help that one out since she was in an odd position and unable to turn and "unzip". The other unfortunately died before being able to externally pip (it had been upside down as well in the egg).

3. Ctptcha

Sep 15, 2013
    Thank you so much! One hatched yesterday, happy and healthy all the other ones have cracks in them. [​IMG][​IMG]
    We called him Primo because he was the first one.[​IMG]

4. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That's awesome!! Did you notice if they did indeed pip in those discolored areas? I'm just curious if it was the same as what I saw in my own duck eggs.

Keep the updates coming as the hatch progresses! :)

5. Ctptcha

Sep 15, 2013
    Yeah. Both of them hatched in the discoloured spots exept one of them isn't moving now and doesn't look like it's breathing. It also has it's yolk sack intact. What do I do? Also, If anyone asks me why I posted this in two different places it is because I am desperate.

6. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Do you mean the yolk sac is not absorbed (outside the duckling's body)? If so, that's not a good sign. That means it hatched too early and wasn't ready. Also, they don't tend to move around much right after hatching, it is exhausting hatching out and they sleep for awhile. But if it's really not breathing at all, I suppose there isn't anything you can do for it. :/

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    . Sorry but I have to agree with Orca5094. Very sorry:hugs

8. Ctptcha

Sep 15, 2013
    Oh, it's ok now [​IMG] Thanks for helping! I now have four little babies [​IMG].

9. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Wow, well that's great! Congrats on your new additions! Have any pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by