Black areas on combs. Not scabs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sparrowesrest, Sep 17, 2016.

1. sparrowesrest

sparrowesrest New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Can someone please help me understand what this is...

My Maran first showed black spots and then my SLW. Now my Americauna has the same spots and red around her mouth and eyes as well. All live in the same coop and my GLW is showing the same symptoms as the Americauna. Americauna is a cross beak so treat her gently [​IMG]

Any ideas so I know would to greatly appreciated. Can I boost their immunity or what is advised? I am concerned![​IMG]

2. sparrowesrest

sparrowesrest New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Black spots on faces, combs, wattles and ears may be dried blood and scabs from pecking or injuries, such as rubbing against a sharp fence or object. They usually heal within a couple of weeks. No treatment is necessary. Chickens will peck each other normally, but watch for bullying, and separate if necessary. The lowest one in the pecking order may be the receptor of pecking.

4. sparrowesrest

sparrowesrest New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Great, thank you. Got concerned when thinking of all of the diseases out there. Dry Pox came to my mind but seems plausible that it would be from scuffles within the flock. My rooster is coming into his own recently (aka maturing) and believe he's the culprit.

Thank you for the perspective and feedback!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by