Black Astralorp ID

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Salt Water Farmer, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Salt Water Farmer

Salt Water Farmer Hatching

May 18, 2009
    We picked up six different day old chicks this Spring, one of which is a Black Astralorp. We have had no previous experience with this breed and that brings us to our question. The chicks are now 9 weeks old and the Astralorp has gone from being the second smallest to the largest. She/he also has started to try to crow and acts very bossy towards the other five. (Although most of them stand up to her/him.) I have had hens that 'sort of' crowed in the past, but still laid eggs. At this age, from the pictures I have seen of Astralorps, I would guess determining the sex of one could be difficult from appearance alone, but the crowing is getting better (from a roosters veiwpoint) and we have no desire to upset our neighbors. Any suggestions? (The stew pot looms!)
    Thanks,
    Salt Water Farmer

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Maybe you could post a picture, head shot but also a full body shot that shows head to legs.

How to post pictures/avatar
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26838

What you are describing sure sounds like a rooster, but I would not condemn this one until I saw a picture at least. Some can be harder to sex than others, but at 9 weeks, you should be able to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: