Black Astralorp?

sarashorbs

Hatching
Apr 28, 2017

These are all supposedly 8 week old black astralorp pullets but the one on the left clearly isn't the same. I didn't expect the other two to have so many spots. I have been thinking the one on the left is a roo but now I'm wondering if the two speckled ones are a different breed? And maybe the left one is still a black astralorp pullet?

I'm thinking the two on the right are barred rocks (someone please correct me if I am mistaken!). The one on the right looks like an Australorp, maybe a rooster? Where did you get them?

Last edited:
NWIowaChick I was thinking maybe barred rock but they seem darker. I got them at a local hay and feed store.

Junebuggena knows the two pullets on the right are Dominique because of their rose combs, and their over all patterning is slightly different from barred rocks. To the tried eye it is quite obvious, and also clear based on the black to white ratio on them that they're both girls.
The black one on the left is most definitely an Australop cockerel.
Best wishes.

Last edited:
Funny you ended up w similar combo to what I did. I ordered the Austalorpes but when I went to feed store, owner aplogized that her brother had put their shipment of Austrolorpes in with their shipment of Barred Rocks and the chicks are hard to tell apart. I told her I didn't care n just took what she caught. Going to be interesting to see what I end up with cuz right now they are just fuzzy, mostly black golf balls!

Yep, I agree with everyone. Aetheria, look at the heads of the chicks, Dominique chicks most always have white on head, sometimes large, and sometimes small but nearly always there. Also the little pullets are darker color barred. Nice chicks though.

To add a twist, I called the store I got them from and they don't think they had Dominique until a few weeks ago. They are guessing without a pic that they are cuckoo marans. Would you agree?

To add a twist, I called the store I got them from and they don't think they had Dominique until a few weeks ago. They are guessing without a pic that they are cuckoo marans. Would you agree?
Cuckoo Marans have white skin and single combs. Your chicks have yellow skin and rose combs. Those are key identifying traits of Dominiques.

Back
Top Bottom