Black Astrolorp Lost almost all feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tom's chickens, Jan 22, 2010.

1. tom's chickens

tom's chickens New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    I have a mixed flock, 12 Birds. Sudenally a saw a black Astrolorp had lost her feathers from her breast to her tail. Bare as could be on her underside. No evedence of feather fickin. But her underside is smoth and featherless. The rest of the girls seem fine. What should I do or look for? This is my first flock, so am still learning. Any help with this would be great. If I can't solve this she will die as I live in Maine. Thanks Tom

2. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Wow! I have the same problem! I have 27 hens - 5 of them are black lorps, 3 of those are coming up on 3 years 2 will be 2this spring. I think 4 of them have the same problem. No sign of any creepy crawlies, no scabs, just bare pink healthy looking skin. I dusted all of them with D.E. . I don't post often but read posts at least several times per week. Hope someone has an answer![​IMG]

3. steward

May 10, 2009
    Wow! I have the same problem! I have 27 hens - 5 of them are black lorps, 3 of those are coming up on 3 years 2 will be 2this spring. I think 4 of them have the same problem. No sign of any creepy crawlies, no scabs, just bare pink healthy looking skin. I dusted all of them with D.E. . I don't post often but read posts at least several times per week. Hope someone has an answer!

4. steward

May 10, 2009
    oops! sorry about the double post!

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Sounds broody to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Was she setting on eggs? If so, then yeah broody...LOL

7. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Australorps are supposed to be one of the cold hardy breeds. Mine seem to be pretty tough, but then I live in So. Cal. However, for the last week my poor girls have had to live through really bad weather with a temporary coop set up. Every morning they come out perky and dancing like little black ballerinas. Not a care in the world. They seem very resilient. [​IMG]

8. tom's chickens

tom's chickens New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    Broody huh, well will seperate for a while and see if that works. I have one other broody hen, but she did not remove any of her belly feathers. Thanks much for the advice. Tom

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My Black Australorp just went through her first molt. It came on so fast, and she looked so bad, I didn't know what was going on with her and posted on here. Everyone responded that it was probably molt, and sure enough, it was. She is now covered with beautiful new feathers and looks great. AND, her molt started just as our weather started getting the coldest of the year. I was advised against handling her since it is painful for them when they are molting, so I just kept an eye on her and she did just fine, even with her missing feathers. Best wishes to your girl! [​IMG]

10. steward

May 10, 2009
    Sorry if I'm hijacking. I'm the second poster and I have the same problem. I do not think they are broody, I've never been that lucky yet in 4 years. They all jump out to range as soon as they can. No sitting on the nest, no stink eye, nothing that seems broody . The skin is pink and healthy looking and the cold does not seem to be a problem.I kept them in during the zero degree weather and they had a heat lamp and a heater in the coop. The feather loss is not visible unless I pick them up and look for it. The bigger feathers seem to cover the bare spots. I looked in the search files but could not find anything that seems to apply. I have 1 roo who is about 8 months old and seems to still be getting the hang of being top dog. He will sometimes catch a hen by the feathers and then do nothing but stand on her. He does know what to do and has solved the balancing problem. The hens do not look picked on though he does seem to have a couple favorites who are a little sparse on feathers right up by the comb. I don't think he could be responsible due to the location of the lost feathers. I also dusted eveybody with D.E. , don't know if it helped or not. I don't post very often but I do lurk and read at least 3 or 4 times a week!! Thanks for any ideas!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by