Black Astrolorp or Black Jersey Giant Pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DiamondBarMRanch, Apr 17, 2009.

1. DiamondBarMRanch

DiamondBarMRanch New Egg

Apr 16, 2009
    This is my first post. Sorry the picture is so bad, had to take the pic with my phone.

I bought this pullet at Atwoods and in the assorted Pullets bin. I was of the impression that it was a Astrolorp but the Astrolorps and Jersey Giants look similier to me. I'm a newbie! [​IMG]

Anyway what do ya'll think? She is going on 5 weeks now. She has black legs, the underside of her feet are not a bright yellow, but there not white either, kind of in-between. She also has a black beak. Didn't know it that mattered or not. She's very similier in size to my Production Red, and EE chicks of the same age.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    What a cute chicky! The black ones are not as flashy but they have their own charm and when they have that green sheen in the sun, they glow!

I have 10 Jersey's. Nine of them are average size and one is huge with legs as thick as a Sharpie marker! I thought it was a roo, but it has the body of a pullet.

Here is one as a small chick about two weeks:
    [​IMG]

Here is the one I thought could be a roo at seven weeks:
    [​IMG]

Seven weeks:
    [​IMG]

They have white under their chin too like yours. Yours does look a little narrower in the "shoulders".

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I would say Jersey Giant. What did the chick look like at 1 or 2 weeks? Australorp are more penguin looking. Also Australorp feet have white bottoms and JG are yellow.

Cute chick though , either way you'll get nice big brown eggs. [​IMG]

Nancy

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by