Black astrolupes are still not laying any eggs. At first their eggs were soft so I added oyster shel

How old are they? Generally Australorps don't start laying until they are at least 6 months old. Any earlier and they will lay soft or no shelled eggs.

It takes them a while to get their egg laying machines in gear. So keep the in layer feed, oystershell on the side and they should start laying hard shelled eggs soon. But again, they need to be older than 6 months before they lay.

I fear you are not feeding the proper feed to your Australorps. I have Black Australorps, they started laying 4 weeks ago at 5-1/2 months of age. They get Purina Layena layer crumbles, Oyster Shell on the side 24/7, plus I alternate each morning giving them oatmeal with black sunflower seeds or crumbled up hard boiled eggs, shell and all. They do get 1 afternoon treat after everyone has laid their eggs for the day which generally will be either a piece of watermelon, acorn squash, some hen scratch, or some fresh corn on the cob.

I wish you all the best!
frow.gif

I got a RIR that eats grubs, grass and bugs and she is 23 weeks today and laying pullet eggs like a machine gun. I think she is eating some of the oyster shell and granite but this girl likes to forage a lot.

I got a RIR that eats grubs, grass and bugs and she is 23 weeks today and laying pullet eggs like a machine gun. I think she is eating some of the oyster shell and granite but this girl likes to forage a lot.
I ask again...what type of layer feed are you feeding your Australorps?

Back
Top Bottom