Black Aus, or wellsummer + Americana?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    This is not for show or anything. Just for fun. I have always preferred the dual purpose breeds. However, two years ago, I had a hen go broody in July. Did not have a roo, could not find chicks or eggs until some lady knew a lady who knew....

Anyway, I wound up keeping a hen and a rooster from that hatch, of Easter egg chicks. My hen is not too big, in fact the Blk A, and Wel. pullets coming on 1 year olds are bigger than her.

I have been praying for a broody hen, and have been setting aside her pretty green eggs on the counter, cause I would like some more green egg laying chicks. Putting the brown eggs in fridge for eating.

But they lay pretty light brown eggs, and if I covered them with a EE Roo..... what color would those hens lay?

As of now, all my hens can't wait to jump off the nest.... ;-( no one is even thinking about being a broody hen, but just in case, which eggs should I stick under her?

Probably will stick a few of each, but just wondering what next fall might bring for eggs..... hmmmmm I have heard dont count your eggs until they are hatched...... but I am before they are even layed?

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by