Black Austerlorps maybe 19 weeks hens or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bchorse1, Aug 7, 2010.

1. bchorse1

bchorse1 New Egg

Jun 9, 2010
    Hi there,
    My black austerlorps recovered well, but now I'm not so sure their pullets! What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. bchorse1

bchorse1 New Egg

Jun 9, 2010
    I think they are around 18 or 19 weeks

3. newchickgirl

newchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Appleton, Maine
    I'm a newbie myself, but my guess is the front and back ones are roos and the middle a pullet. That's what my partridge rock roos look like and they are around 12 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Ditto. On the one in back, in particular, you can see the downward pointing saddle feathers and curved tail feathers coming in. Both are signs of a rooster! the middle bird seems to be a pullet.

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    x3

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    4 x

7. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    X5 two roos and a pullet [​IMG]

8. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    x6

9. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Are you sure they are 18-19 weeks? At that age I would expect to see bigger and more developed birds....i.e. the boys would have more tail growth and more red on your pullet.
    They look more like 10-12 weeks to me...and I agree two boys with a pullet in the middle.
    Australorps are lovely birds. I am glad to hear yours recovered. What happened to them?

10. bchorse1

bchorse1 New Egg

Jun 9, 2010
    Oops, I looked at the calendar again, more like 10-12 weeks. I bought these guys (3 barred rocks, a roo and 2 hens & 4 black australorp pullets) from pretty poor circumstances. I got them home and saw bloody stools, lost 1BR and 1BA the first morning and got the rest on meds. The BAs were pretty scuzzy looking and bare bodied under their wings, very lethargic the first couple days. They are really gorgeous now, gentle, but more timid than my red chickens.

I'm new to chickens and wanted duo purpose chickens that would sit on their eggs, so my intention was to replace my RIRs w/ BA. Since the guy only had BA pullets, I got the BRs, too. So, now out of 7, I've only go new hens. I keep 6 hens and 1 rooster. Would you keep the BA or the BR for your flock? I guess I'll have to keep some of the reds from last year. Any advice?

If I need to replace my flock, next time I guess I would raise the chicks myself, keep 6 and sell the rest. Oh, well, live and learn. Anyone want a BA roo?
    Leslie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by