Black Australop - 7 Weeks old - Can chickens be runts? Is this a pullet?

BoiseChik

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
Boise Idaho
We have the funniest little chicken, a 7 week old Black Australop, that is about half the size of her companions who are the exact same age. She is the bravest and seems to be a leader, but she is so tiny! Can she be a runt? And to be on the safe side, does this look like a pullet? Her name is Veronica, think the sassy girl with shiny black hair from the Archie comics.

Veronica at 3 or 4 weeks old

Veronica and Herriot at 3 or 4 weeks old

Veronica with a few friends of the same age

Last edited:
Veronica is no runt, the size difference is due to the fact that this is not an australorp. Australorps have a single comb, this bird has a pea comb. Does it have yellow feet bottoms? Looks alot like a black sumatra chick to me.

Also, I checked with the seller again, and she confirmed that she was told this was a Black Australorp, and that she purchased it from our local hatchery. I also called the hatchery and they told me the same thing, that they sold Black Australorps but DO NOT sell Black Sumatras. Isn't that crazy? Could this be an Australorp with bad conformation, or do you think a Sumatra snuck in there somehow?

That's a Sumatra. I can tell by the overall stance and body type, and also the comb is the type Sumatras have. Sumatras also have a black comb, which this bird has.

I called the Hatchery again and this time they said that their eggs came from another source and that they would check with their source to see if they also have Sumatras. :-] We'll see what they say.

Veronica is no runt, the size difference is due to the fact that this is not an australorp. Australorps have a single comb, this bird has a pea comb. Does it have yellow feet bottoms? Looks alot like a black sumatra chick to me.

Wow - great call! Impressed!
bow.gif

I guess I've got a couple threads going on this bird now, whoops. I am very interested to hear the input, though. Thanks!
I tried to get a few more pics of what this bird's tail and head carriage usually look like. I don't have the best camera on my phone, so a few are a bit blurry. Veronica is always in motion and she is quick! In these pics, she is about 7.5 weeks old. The fourth pic is typical for how she usually looks. Her tail is usually pretty erect and pointed, and looks like a little pyramid from the back.

Back
Top Bottom