Black Australop and/or Black Star?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by meginfl, Dec 14, 2007.

1. meginfl

meginfl New Egg

Dec 14, 2007
    West, TN
    I am new here and have learned so much. Thanks to all who share their advice and opinions. I have a few questions.

Tomorrow I am picking up 5 4 mo.old pullets. I have Black Australops or Black Stars to choose from. These are my first chickens in over 30 years and I will be raising them just for eggs.

Should I get some of each breed or all one breed? I can not have roosters here

We have built a 12' long by 5' wide by 6' tall A frame structure. One 4' end section is enclosed with wood with a ridge vent on the roof, the other 8' is enclosed with 1/2 welded wire with the bottom open to the grass. It has wheels on one end so I can move it around the property.

Is this big enough for the hens to live in as long as I move it frequently?

Should I put wire on the bottom too?

I have an outdoor cat and have Hawks and Ospreys here so don't think I can let them run loose on the property. I do have a fenced area that used to be a dog run. There has not been dogs in there for over 6 months.

Is it safe for the hens to forage in there?

Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

Megan in FL

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I would get both as both are good layers, that way you would have both breeds.

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I agree, get both

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    5 hens in a tractor that size, sounds like plenty of room.
    I would get a few of each. I love both my black star and Australorp. They are friendly and lay pretty consistently.

You could probably just free-range them whenever you are home to watch them if you are worried about predators. As long as you move the tractor frequently, I don't think you'll have a problem with them being bored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by