1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australop vs Black sex link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by birdlady79, Mar 4, 2014.

1. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Hi, Im trying to decide what my next chick will be..I think I really want a Black Aus but they are hard to find in my area...Anybody had Black Aus and Black Sex Link? Which one did you like best..Im in it for the hobby but will enjoy the eggs..Thanks

2. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Well, our hatchery Australorps were decent layers, not anywhere near the hybrid chickens but they seemed to have the best temperament out of all of the birds in that flock. I have never owned BSLs but I imagine being crossed with Barred Rocks they should be OK in temperament as well.

From the person I recent bought hatching eggs from, she had some 5+ year old Austra-whites (leghorn mixes) and Black Sex Link chickens that were both still producing eggs which is pretty darn good. I think whichever you get will be great. If I were a betting man, I would put money on BSL producing more eggs in the first couple years of laying unless you found someone still maintaining Australorps for their record breaking egg production they were once known for. Heck, why not get some of both? :)

3. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Thanks for advise. Only room for 1 lol.... Having a hard time finding BA..... I'm not really concerned about eggs as much as I am personality.... Our local TSC prides themselves in BSL RSL and Leghorn.... Only reason I would get a BSL is due to not finding a BA.... I was just curious about the BSL, like what it's mixed with. .. I'm tired of driving hour n half to get 1 or 2 chicks lol.

4. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have brown speckled Sussex and I feel you can't go wrong with this breed they are wonderful for their broodiness I have chicks all summer long they lay eggs in the winter very nice size eggs and very friendly they follow the grand kids every where . I sold a lot of my chicks last yr. Every one that bought them just loves them. You should try them. If you decide they are not for you It won't be hard to sell them. If any thing would happen to mine I would do it again .

5. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    They are cute... One of my customers has one and loves her... I think I might consider a Sussex.... I want a variety.. :) thank you.

6. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

They are pretty, I have never owned one myself but I have heard all the same things that were mentioned - fair egg layers, great personality, good broody. Our Australorp also went broody at a fairly young age so keep that in mind during those 1-3 months you wont get any eggs(they typically molt after a broody session) unless you break their broodiness.

7. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Thanks... I went with the BA... I got two today but only going to keep one... They are so cute!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by