Black Australop

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sfisher, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Can anyone tell me, what kind of layer these birds are?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't have any anymore, but they were good layers when I used to have them.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Mine are really good layers...almost every day during the longer days. Nice large brown eggs.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    One of the better choices. . . !

Steve

5. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Mine started off slowly, but she's now a very good layer. And her eggs are big and gorgeous. She's my favorite girl.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2008
    Mine is still a pullet and hasn't laid eggs but I hear they are great layers!

7. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Thanks everybody, I ordered a couple the other day. Then I read that they only average about 175 eggs a year. But then they say they hold a world record, for a hen that laid 364 eggs in 1 year. I just want a black chicken that lays alot of brown eggs. I have until noon tomorow to change my order. Does anybody think black sex links would be a better choice.

8. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I love my Australorps. They consistently lay nice big brown eggs and have sweet temperaments. I plan on ordering a few more this spring.

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:I'm not going to buy that "about 175 eggs a year" figure. Australorps have always done very well for me and averaged a good deal more than an egg every other day!

I'd bet, however, that the current strains would be outperformed by the black sex-links altho' I don't have any personal experience. My brother's red sex-links were quite the "laying machines" and my Australorps may not have been able to match 'em. Nevertheless, they can give most any breed a good run for their money [​IMG]!

With the Australorps you'll get a beautiful black bird with an iridescent green sheen - they are just gorgeous in the bright sunlight [​IMG]!

Steve

10. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    My australorp is my best layer. 6.1 eggs per week this winter. Her eggs are smaller and lighter-colored than the other breeds I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by