Black Australorp - 12 weeks, pullet or roo? New pics at 23 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 18th - New pics at 23 weeks of age - page 2

I'm pretty sure this one is a pullet, but need some reassurance - its comb is still small, but the wattles are larger than any of the other chicks I have. I plan to rehome it and don't want to sell someone a rooster by accident.

This is the chick in question at about 8 weeks old (on the left) with one of my definite roos (all three definite roos were sold early on).

[​IMG]

Chick in question at 11 weeks:

[​IMG]

at 12 weeks:

[​IMG]

12 weeks
    [​IMG]

It's her wattles that are throwing me off. Are they a normal size for a 12 week old pullet?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    pullet

3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I have three Black Australorps and yours is a pullet.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Thanks. What about the wattles? I looked back on my original flock of chickens and they either had no wattles or very small wattles (smaller than hers/his?) till they were 19-20 weeks of age.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19548-from-chicks-to-pullets-to-hens

I know her body, feathers, & comb still make her look like a pullet, but did any of your BA pullets have larger wattles like this at a young age? She's my first BA - I don't know if their wattles grow earlier than on other hens.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Okay - this chicken is now 15 1/2 weeks old - it still has a fairly small comb, but its wattles are huge for a pullet at this age (at least I think so).

This chicken is at the bottom of the pecking order. It's kind of a loner and hates to be picked up (not typical of my chickens) and has its hackles (neck feathers) raised an awful lot. The saddle feathers are still rounded - not sure when the pointy ones would be due to come in if it is a roo.

My barred rock (also 15 1/2 weeks) & splash orp (17 1/2 weeks) still don't have their wattles growing yet.

Pictures taken today at 15 1/2 weeks of age:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I'd guess roo just going by tail in last two pics. probably a late bloomer. Could be why he's so recesive, scared that's what the raised hackle means. And dont mean aggressive hackle. Just to make clear.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The tail does like strange - a couple long feathers, but the saddle feathers are still round. Do you know at what age it should grow pointed saddle feathers if it is a roo?

8. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    pullet? maybe?

9. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    My BA's have very big wattles and combs at 18 wks and I know they are all pullets. They are laying!

10. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have an australorp who I thought might be a roo, but when she reached adulthood, she dropped the long tail feathers, grew a "hen butt's" tail feathers, and 7 days ago she started laying.

She's given me 7 eggs in 7 days. She's a machine!

Oh, in summary, you have a pullet! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by