black australorp and EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nickrex98, Jul 31, 2011.

1. nickrex98

nickrex98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    georgia
    what would a mix of a ee with a black australorp be(ee rooster and BA hen or BA rooster and EE hen, any pics would be very helpful

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    An EE is a mix. It can look like anything, be any color or pattern, and generally has no defining characteristics. Even the pea comb is not a given. Having no idea what genes are present in your EE, I can't tell you what that cross will look like.

The black in a BA dominates over a lot of things, so the odds are that the offspring will have black on them. But that is not a given. And it is quite possible the chicks will not all look the same. The EE could easily be split for certain genes that would change the appearance of the individual offspring.

If the EE is pure for the blue egg gene, all hens from this cross would lay green eggs. If the EE is split for the blue egg gene, about half the hens would lay green eggs and the rest would be brown eggs. If the EE does not have any blue egg genes, all eggs will be some version of brown.

Not a lot of help I know, but I don't see any clear answer. It could make a nice chicken though. I like Black Australorp.

3. nickrex98

nickrex98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    georgia
    sorry i meant Ameraucana instead of EE

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Eight colors are officially recognized for poultry shows by the American Poultry Association: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White. There are several project colors, including Lavender. Which do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by