Black Australorp and Gold Laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mountaineer, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    Is there a particular distinction between the egg color of these two hens. I have one of each. The Australorp, I know, has begun laying because I've seen her on the nest and gathered eggs that are a very different color from my other hens. The Gold Laced Wyandotte, I don't believe has started laying. However, in researching egg color, I've found that their eggs are almost identical in color. Both hens were hatched in April. I haven't seen the Wyandotte on a nest yet but she certainlly ought to be laying by now. Just curious if anyone knows a distinction in egg color.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I have both BA and GLW hens. The BA eggs are a light golden/buff color with a super smooth shell. The GLW lays an egg with a slightly pinkish hue. Those are what mine lay - yours may differ. [​IMG]

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    I'm definitely getting an egg with a pinkish hue but I've never seen my GLW inside the nest box. The pinkish egg also has white specks in it. Thanks for your reply.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

YVW. Makes you want to set up a spy cam, doesn't it? Those girls can be pretty stealthy with the egglaying...and they can switch nest boxes just to keep you guessing. :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by